The Ethics of a Hufflepuff Part 2

"Alright, grasp your Bubotuber plants firmly around the middle (with your dragon-hide gloves on, mind you, we don't want any injuries) and squeeze gently. The pus is very valuable, so try not to spill anything!" Professor Oggs, the magical Herbology teacher, instructed the class, shooting a sharp look at Brandon Small, who had managed to spill the undiluted Bubotuber pus all down his front just as the Professor was instructing them not to spill any.

"This is awful," Your friend, Grace Hartfords, muttered to you.

You shrugged, slipping on your gleaming dragon hide gloves. You held a small glass vial below one of the Bubotuber's blister-like openings and squeezed the plant gently, letting the pus drain into the container smoothly. "It's not that bad," you remarked. "It's just like popping a pimple."

Grace gagged and plugged her nose. "Yeah, like popping pimples is fun," she retched.

You wrinkled your nose at her playfully.

"You just like herbology; you're biased." Grace stated matter-of-fairly, putting on her own dragon-hide gloves and beginning to tentatively grasp the foul-smelling Bubotuber.

You eyed her slippery hold on the plant and winced. "That's true, but- Grace, watch out!" Grace had squeezed the oozing plant too hard, and Bubotuber pus had shot out of one of the openings and landed on her face.

She let out a cry of shock and stumbled away from the plant. Clamping her hands over her face, she howled in pain; blisters and boils were bubbling on her skin, looking extremely painful.

"Stand back, out of the way- Move!" Professor Oggs shoved aside bewildered students and made a beeline for Grace, who was now huddled against the wall clawing at the painful welts on her skin. Her wails made you cringe.

Professor Oggs forcefully pulled one of Grace's hands away from her face to examine the blisters. He made a small "tsk tsk" sound and cast a sharp gaze over the class.

"(Y/N), take Miss Hartfords to the hospital wing as fast as you can. Everyone else, place your bubotubers back onto the shelf and pack up your things. Clearly you are not ready to handle such advanced magical plant life," he grumbled.

You scrambled over to Grace and gently helped her up, trying to ignore her moans of pain. "C'mon, I'm taking you to the hospital wing-" You were cut off by another one of her screams.

Cringing the whole way up to the castle, you thought you were going to be extremely grateful when Grace was restored to her normal self and you were extremely glad she would most likely never have to squeeze another bubotuber in the remainder of her life.

~~~~~

You sat in a stiff wooden chair in the hospital wing waiting room, running your fingers over your wand and mentally going over the mechanics of the Jelly-Legs Jinx. You hadn't particularly liked that lesson; you had spent a good portion of the day afterwards staggering from class to class until it wore off.

You were busying yourself with trying to remember a good Shield Charm to use against the Jelly-Legs jinx when a shy "Hello, again," made you jump.

You looked around for the source of the voice and realized it was none other than Newt Scamander.

You had seen Newt various times since you had first met him on the Monday of the week before. You would eat lunch together, study after classes sometimes, and chat together in the common room drinking mugs of steaming Peppermint Cocoa, kindly brought to you by the nearby house-elves. You liked him very much, and, as it seemed, he liked you too; it didn't matter particularly to either of you that he was a year older than you. You got along fine, and you enjoyed having someone to talk to.

You smiled brightly at him, blushing a little. "Hi," you breathed.

Newt smiled back and shifted on his feet, looking nervous for some unknown reason. He swallowed. "D-do you mind if I sit?" He pointed to the vacant chair next to you.

"Of course not," you replied. Newt sat quickly, fiddling with his fingers.

A moment of awkward silence hung in the air before you said,
"My friend got undiluted Bubotuber pus on her face. She's being treated now."

"Oh," Newt swallowed, looking slightly taken aback. "That must have hurt quite a bit."

You sighed. "Yeah, she's never been that good at herbology. It's not her fault, but still... I'm just sorry she got injured," you shrugged.

"You like herbology, don't you?" Newt asked tentatively.

You blushed and smiled shyly. "Yeah, it's my best subject," you grinned.

Newt grinned back. "Mine's Care of Magical Creatures. I like Herbology too, though," he stated.

You shrugged again. "Eh, I liked it until Professor Kettleburn brought out the manticores. I was in the class where they went berserk and started attacking the students," you laughed slightly, shaking your head at the memory.

Newt fiddled with the hem of his sleeve. "Oh, I quite liked that lesson," he mused. You raised an eyebrow.

"Well, you weren't attacked, were you?" You joked. Your eyes met Newt's. You savored the small laughter-lines around his eyes, the crinkling of his nose as he smiled, and the mischievous twinkle in his eye that one could only see if they got past his shy exterior.

You looked into his eyes, momentarily forgetting you were (creepily) staring at him. He looked back, seeming just as encapsulated with you as you were with him.

He cleared his throat awkwardly. "Listen, (Y/N)..." he started. "T-the Yule Ball is coming up, you know, as the Triwizard Tournament is happening, a-and I was wondering, if, um, if you had a date?"

You went a deep shade of red and a giddy smile formed on your lips. "I don't," you replied, eagerly awaiting Newt's next words.

Newt scratched the back of his neck, obviously feeling very nervous, and smiled at his lap. "W-would you be willing to, um, go with me, then, perhaps?" He asked. His galaxy-like eyes met yours and he grinned.

You took Newt's hand shyly and met his own beautiful eyes with your own. "Newt," you said softly. "I would love to,"

~~~~~~~

There's going to be one more part to this and then it will be done. Thanks for reading! 💛

-merrychristmooose