Tale of Two Rings

Emma's POV

I woke up and noticed I was all alone in bed. A note was next to me so I read it. It stated that he had gone to the office and he loved me. I blushed. I couldn't believe that my life had changed suddenly. The nerd in high school, the outcast at college, the one that couldn't fit in at the fosters home, was now engaged to a very successful man who loved her and she love him back.

I got dressed and got out of bed. I headed downstairs to make something to eat. Halley was in the kitchen.

"Congratulations on the engagement, again, that's so unbelievable."

"Thanks Hal, I can't even believe it either. I have to keep pinching myself because I still think I'm dreaming."

"It's not a dream, darling. He really does love you."

"And I can't seem to understand why. Why me?"

"Why not you? You're beautiful, caring, and you're sweet."

"Yeah, but I am just his maid."

"Now you're his fiancee."

We prepared pancakes with chocolate chips and strawberries for brunch. We sat outside by the pool and enjoyed the lovely, warm atmosphere. Summer was the best time of the year.

"He's going to spoil you," Halley said as she bit into a thick pancake.

"I could only imagine," I giggled as I felt like a queen on her throne.

"Sharon will be back soon. Are you ready to face the music?"

"Actually, he'll be meeting her at the airport to end it with her. She won't have to come here."

"Thank God."

But little did we know.

__________

The Weekend

I was in the kitchen making my fiance his cup of coffee when the front door of the mansion burst open.

"Darling, I'm home!" 

I would recognize that voice anywhere. Sharon had arrived.

I peered from the kitchen door. She was standing at the bottom of the stairs, accompanied with a very slim woman in an cream color suit.

"Ethan!" she called again.

He appeared at the top of the stairs then slowly strode down to her and the other woman. "You're here early."

"Yes. We caught an early flight."

"We?"

"Yes. Oh, this is Mrs. Dianna Promme."

"Okay. Why is she here?"

"She's here to plan our wedding, baby. With the extra time I spent in Italy I found her. She's the best in the world. She can plan our dream wedding perfectly." Sharon was overjoyed as she hugged him, but he pushed her away gently. Her excitement died. "Baby, is everything okay?" 

"There's something I have to tell you."

"I already know what it is. You miss me and you love me and you can't wait for us to get married. I know, I know. I can't wait either." Sharon turned to Dianna and handed her a book. "This is the book I've been telling you about. You'll find all the wedding dresses and decorations there. Just look at it and tell me which one will–"

"Sharon, I said I have to talk to you."

"Go ahead and talk." She was still pointing at the pictures in the book.