12 | elliot

12

IT'S BEEN A WHILE since I've laid in bed and not felt anchored to it

Normally my head clamors with bad memories, consumed by thought loops for hours, but I've been crazy happy since Lucy left. Smiling like an idiot, I cross my arms behind my head and stare at the ceiling. The lights are off, leaving only the moonlight to cast shadows on the stucco. Lucy's so damn adorable. I can't believe she might like me. Okay, I'm getting ahead of myself—I know she doesn't like like me, but she doesn't hate me, either.

Feeling a sudden burst of confidence, I take out my phone and squint at the light. Tomorrow is the last day my family will be in town before they go to Cuba, so we're celebrating Christmas tonight. Lucy said she isn't about the holidays, but maybe she'd want to come to mine. I text her.

Hey, what are you up to?

Nothing, why?

Not to come off stalkerish, but are you busy tomorrow?

You did just have me over today, seems a little fast doesn't it

That isn't a no :)

It's a maybe.

A maybe, as in maybe you'll come over at 3 tomorrow?

Okay. Maybe.

When Charlotte pokes her head in my room, I drop my phone and scowl. "What the hell, Char? Go away!"

She snickers. "Why are you laying in the dark like a weirdo?"

"I'm trying to sleep, dumbass."

"It's eleven-thirty on a Friday!"

"Yeah, but I'm tired." Not really, I'm just too anxious to do anything but think.

Charlotte flicks on the light. I groan and rub my eyes. When she chews on her lip and bounces on her heels, I raise an eyebrow.

"What do you want, Char?"

"Um, El... I need a favour."

"Okay, what?"

She flops on the bed. "Do you have any weed?"

"Excuse me? Did I hear you right?"

"Yeah, you heard me. Well?"

"Is this a trick? Are you spying on me for Dad?"

"I'm being serious."

"Charlotte, you don't smoke pot."

"No, but I kind of want to try. Maddy and I got invited to this party and..."

"What party? When?"

"Tonight."

"Seriously? What, you think that because you're fifteen now, you can start partying all the time?"