Chapter 24

"I knew once we start kissing, I found love."

*

When I was little, my Grandma always told me to see the brighter side of things. No matter how shitty your life is, never let it bring you down. Because, as long as you stay strong, the monsters will never beat you. They can never take the one thing you need in this world.

Faith... and love.

"Don't let nobody beat you down, you understand me?" She leans back and forth in her rocking chair, with a very peaceful look on her face. I look up at her from my dolls in confusion.

"Why's that Grandma?"  She looks down at me with a warm smile and pats her lap, motioning for me to sit. I stand up and go to sit on her lap.

"Oh child, I know the troubles you and your mother go through." I furrow my brows at her.

"You do?"

"Oh yes dear. Don't worry, one day your mother will stand up to him. She's a strong woman, just like you."

"But... Daddy hits Mommy and I can't do nothing about it." I start to ball, but she starts to wipe my tears away.

"You gotta have faith baby girl. God wouldn't give you nothing you couldn't handle." I shake my head yes in understanding.

"Faith" I repeat to myself. Before I know it, I'm being tugged on my arm by my father. I thought mommy was picking me up?

"Really Mary? What did I say about teaching my daughter this religious shit." I start to whine when his grip gets tight on my arm. Where's Mommy?!

"Where's Mommy?"

"Maybe you should leave Jasmine with me tonight." Grandma tries to compromise. Her once warm smile turning into a look of fright.

"You don't think I can take care of MY child?! Lets go Jasmine. NOW."  He tugs harder on my arm, making me cry harder. I try to protest, but its no use. I look back at my Grandma, to see her pointing to her head, saying "remember".

Have faith Jasmine, and you'll overcome your monsters one day.

 Ever since I was dragged out of her house, I've never seen her again. I don't know if she's alive, safe...

I stop at my front door. Since Damon wanted to drive his "new friend" home, he said I had to walk to his house today. Let me tell you, his house is far as all hell, so you can say I'm very upset about this. But here's one thing I've learned, you can't always rely on a man for everything, that's for sure. So I decided to go home today.

I guess I've realized that no matter what, running away from my troubles won't stop them. you have to face them, and I'm going to do that. I'm going to help my mom get through this. We're going to get through this together.

I knock on the door, since my mom is usually home at this time. But when I did, the door just opened more.

What?

I look at the door frame to see wooden pieces broken off from the door, looking like it was broken down. I run inside the house to see it all destroyed and a mess. The couch was flipped over, lamps broken, family pictures missing, everything destroyed.

"Mom! Mom!" I run to the kitchen and grab a knife. I check the rest of the rooms, nothing. When I come back to the living room, I notice a note on the wall. I grab it in anger when I see the hand writing.

You're very sneaky baby girl, I've taught you well, but not good enough. I guess you've noticed your mother isn't here, well I have her. If you want her back, just come back home, your REAL home.

I look up from the note with a new found anger from inside. I scrunch up the paper in my hand before I go to my mom's left behind car and drive off to the place I need to go to.

He is NOT going to hurt someone I love again.

Not anymore.

As I'm driving, I get a phone call from Damon.

"What does the son of a bitch want now?"

*