It's not nice to haunt my dreams.

The walk to the Lao's mansion was long. The summer heat beat and burned Ling Ling's cheeks.  It was hot and it was still early in the morning. Ling Ling was parched and in desperate need of water by the time she made to the Lao's gated mansion.

Her mouth dropped after seeing the size of the property up close, she had seen the house before whenever she rode a bus somewhere else in town, but never stood so close to survey it personally.

Ling Ling walked up to the gate and rang a doorbell once before stepping back waiting for someone to answer. After a few moments of stillness, she decided to ring it again only for a short stocky woman to slam a small window and glare at her.

"What you want?" The woman snarled impatiently.

"U-um..." Ling Ling stammered, she had not expected a rude greeting.

"Hurry up, I don't have all day to stand here!"

Ling Ling swallowed, straightened up and gathered her courage when she spoke, "I need to see Mr. or Mrs. Lao."

The woman ran her eyes on Ling Ling up and down and based on the sneer  that crept up on her face, Ling Ling can ultimately conclude the woman was not impressed.

"The Lao's are not hiring any new maids right now, go away!"

Ling Ling's face soured immediately. She didn't mind the earlier rudeness but now, this woman was just being disrespectful to her.

Her nose flared as she filled her lungs with air. "I'll have you know I'm their son's betrothed!"

There was a satisfying silence. Ling Ling smiled as she thought she had won the argument when the woman's cheeks turned red and erupted in wild laughter.

Ling Ling's smile made a downward turn and formed into a scowl. "You don't believe me, do you?! You better tell your boss I'm here or I will get you fired!"

The woman's laughter resonated louder, she was laughing so hard she could hardly breathe. The woman turned back to Ling Ling once she's satisfied and caught her breath. "Go try and get me fired, then." She said and slammed the small window shut before walking away.

Ling Ling was left standing outside the gate with no one to let her in. Frustrated, she turned her heels and began her long crest back home when a sleek black car drove up to the street. It wasn't the same car as the one they drove yesterday but it was just as luxurious.

It slowed to a park as it made it by Ling Ling's side. The window rolled down revealing Mrs. Lao inside. Her head peeked out, Mrs. Lao wore a large pair of sunglasses hiding her swollen eyes.

She must've cried some more after she left her house last night, Ling Ling thought. 

"Ling Ling!" Mrs. Lao greeted brightly, perhaps happy to see her out by the mansion so soon.

The car door swung open and surprised Ling Ling. "Come, come! What're you doing out here so early in the morning?" She flashed a wide smile that seemed to look at little maliciously. "Did you came to give us your response?"

Ling Ling crawled inside and took the seat beside Mrs. Lao, the wave of cool air hit her in the cheeks relieving her from the summer heat. She breathed and relaxed as she sunk into the leather seat enjoying the cool air.

"U-ummm, yeah. About that." Ling Ling's voice trembled, "Bolin had been visiting...."

She was about to tell her the story when Mrs. Lao abruptly interrupted her. "Hold up, Ling Ling." She reached for her expensive signature purse fishing out an equally expensive wallet. Mrs. Lao pulled out a wad of cash and slapped it on Ling Ling's palm.

"Take this, consider it your wifey allowance." Mrs. Lao grinned. "There will be a steady flow of money once you become my Bolin's wife."