0.4

( tw! panic attack under the –•– break, it can be skipped! )

MAL KNEW WHEN Steve had entered the apartment, but she couldn't be bothered to open her eyes yet. She was slumped up against the wall, on the floor next to the chair Fury was in. She couldn't remember if it was Fury's plan to go to Steve in the first place or not, all she knew was that she was hurt, and the closest person nearby was Steve.

"I don't remember giving you a key." At the sound of Steve's voice, Mal forced herself to peel open her eyes.

"You really think I'd need one?" Fury asked, leaning forward in the chair, phone in hand. "My wife kicked me out." He said confidently.

"Didn't know you were married." Steve replied, his eyes flickering over to Mal, who smiled briefly. Steve only frowned. Even in the darkness, he could see that she didn't look too good. With her jacket gone, the bruises and cuts on her arms were exposed.

"A lot of things you don't know about me." Fury replied, glancing over at Mal, almost as if he was checking on her. She held back a groan as she pulled herself up to stand, hand wrapped around her to press against her side. Some of the minor scrapes and bruises were already healing, but bones always took longer, whether broken or fractured.

"I know, Nick. That's the problem." As Steve turned on the light, he noticed Fury's injuries for the first time, and he can see the extent of Mal's injuries. She looked exhausted, like she could collapse at any moment. Steve almost jolted forwards, but Fury indicated for him to be silent. He turns the light back off before typing something on his phone. He shows it to Steve, the screen showing two words.

Ears everywhere.

"I'm sorry to have to do this, but I had no place else to crash." Fury said as he types another text and shows it to Steve.

"Mom's mad." Mal said quietly, watching as Steve's eyes scanned over the message Fury was showing him.

SHIELD compromised.

"Who else knows about your wife?" Steve asked, taking a step closer to the two of them. Fury shows him another text, while Mal grabbed her jacket, slipping it on again.

You, me and Mal.

"Just my friends, and my daughter, Mal." Fury stated, and Mal inhaled sharply at the mention of the word daughter.

"Is that what we are?" Steve asked sharply, almost bitterly.

"That's up to you." Three shots ring out, breaking the brief silence, and making Mal scream in surprise. They went right through the wall, hitting Fury and making him collapse onto the ground. Steve looked out the window for the shooter before quickly dragging Fury to the next room. Mal rushed after them, her heart beating erratically in her chest. Before Steve could leave to track the shooter, Fury slips a flash drive into his hand. "Don't trust anyone." He rasps, before passing out. Mal can hardly focus with her hands pressing against one of the bullet wounds, trying to slow the bleeding.