Chapter Twenty-Eight

"So, what'd you decide?" Joel asks quietly.

I look down at my legs, dangling down from the pier. Every once in a while, a wave crashes against the pier, splashing water up onto my legs.

Joel's hand rest over mine. I take in a deep breath, wondering if I'm even doing the right thing.

"Joel..." I begin. "You're so sweet and you are such a great guy. Any girl would be stupid to just turn you down."

His face lightens up when I say that, and my heart sinks. "And right now, I'm just going to have to be the stupid one. I can't be with you, Joel. You're a good friend, but I'm just really confused by a lot of things right now."

I shiver as another cold splash of water hits my legs. Joel sighs and takes his hand off of mine.

"I understand." He says, slightly frowning.

I smile weakly and stand up, getting ready to leave. I told mom I would be back before dinner.

As I turn to walk towards my car, Joel says my name. I turn back to him.

"Does he deserve it?" he asks.

"Deserve what?" I ask.

"You." He says. "I mean, I'm not dumb. I know it's about that guy that talked to you that night before we left. I haven't heard much about him, but I know something happened between the two of you. If he doesn't deserve to have you, then don't spend your time on him. Just don't get hurt, okay?"

I smile, bending down to kiss his cheek. "Bye, Joel."

He attempts a smile and says goodbye as well, and I walk to my car.

I feel guilty and bad nearly the whole drive home. I know that Joel really liked me, but I didn't want to just lead him on.

When I get to the house, I step out of the car and immediately go inside. I'm kind of confused when I see Alexander sitting at the table across from my mother and Madeline.

They all turn their head whenever I walk in. I set my stuff down on the couch and walk to the table.

"Uh-hi?" I say towards Alexander. He laughs a little and awkwardly stares down at his hands.

"Alexander just came over to talk with us." My mom says with a smile.

"Oh..." I say. I look at Alexander, and he shrugs.

"I forgive him for what he did to you but the minute he screws up I-"

"He won't make the same mistakes, Madeline." My mother says, cutting her off.

Madeline glares from Alexander to me. Then, after a while, she walks back into her room.

That was definitely weird.

Mom gets up and starts working on cooking dinner. I look at Alexander and he shrugs again.

I get up and walk back to my room, pulling him behind me. When we get there, I turn to him.

"What was all that about?" I ask sternly.

"I thought that if I'm going to fix this might as well fix everything." He says.

"Well, you will fix everything once you break up with Nicole. Did you leave out that little detail with them?" I ask.

He shakes his head. "No. I'm going to work things out with Nicole...I just have to wait for the right time. Just be patient with me, alright?"

I scoff at him. "Be patient? You want to get back together with me, although we were never really together in the first place, but you're dating another girl. Xander, isn't that the same thing as cheating?"

He smirks. "It's only cheating if I did something like this..." he says while taking his hand and brushing a piece of hair behind my ear. He holds my chin up, bends his head downward, and kisses me.

I pull away almost instantly. "That just made things worse." I say through gritted teeth.

"Just because I said that I forgive you does not mean you can make out with my sister all the time." Madeline's voice rings out.

I snap my head toward her direction, and see her roll her eyes.

"I'm sorry Madeline!" Alexander calls back. "Would you like a kiss too?"

"Not helping!" her voice calls back.

Alexander snickers and leans back against the wall, sliding down into a sitting position.

He props his chin on his hand, his blue eyes staring up at me.

"What was that about? How can I trust you if I know that you're basically cheating on Nicole?" I ask.

"I'm not cheating on her." He frowns. "I mean, I guess-I don't know. I mean, she's cheated on me before with a guy she didn't even care about. And he was my best friend. We've had enough problems throughout our relationship. Maybe this is just my way out. It will be best for the both of us."

"Cheating on her is not-"

"Do you really want to know why I haven't broken up with her yet?" He asks.

I raise my eyebrows, gesturing that I do.

"Fine. Her uncle is some big reporter guy, and has literally told me that he will ruin my career if I ever hurt Nicole. I even told him about her cheating on me, but he didn't care. He's showed me all of the nasty stuff that he has written about me-all of it is untrue. My career is finally taking off, and he could easily ruin that." He says.

He frowns after he is done telling me. "I will break up with her soon, but I just don't know when I can bring myself to do it. I love you, Isabelle, and I know how selfish it sounds, but I have to think about myself sometimes."

I sit on the edge of my bed. "I understand."

He sighs and clasps his hands together. "Thank you. And, since Nicole is out of town for a modeling shoot, how about lunch tomorrow? We can go down to the park, bring some food and stuff..."

I fake disgust. "What make you think I want to hang out with you?" I ask sarcastically.

He props his chin on his hand again, still staring up at me. "Because you love me but won't admit it."

I put my hands on my knees and bend down to where I am eye level with him. "Shut it, Ludwig."

In one quick movement, he swings his arm out and traps the bottom of my legs in it. He pulls me closer to him, and I stumble down, falling into his lap.

He wraps his arms around me and stares down at me. I try to scramble free, but he won't let me.

"Do what?" he asks with a smirk.

I narrow my eyes. "I said shut it, Ludwig."

He laughs before bringing his lips softly against mine.