Wattpad Original
There are 10 more free parts

Chapter 2

For the past year, I had been taking care of Wilson. Even though I was nothing more than just his personal assistant, he was like family to me. I normally spent my time in his house after work, taking care of his needs. He would always scold me that he didn't need my assistance since his nurse that was looking after him would take care of everything.

My stubborn self wouldn't take no for an answer. He would just roll his eyes at me while I don a cheeky grin. I knew that the old man loved that I cared for him. He just didn't show it. He had helped me so much and this was my way of giving everything back. It was the least I could do to help him out of his misery.

I knew his health was deteriorating but he never mentioned calling his family over. I tried to convince him to contact them but he just brushed me off every time I suggested it. It was as if he didn't want to hear any of it. I remembered him telling me that he had not contacted them for years. He had a son who was living with his ex-wife back in England. Deborah Alexander was his wife until she left him around 20 years ago, hating Wilson for being a workaholic. It was true though; he had an empire to run. However, he was too immersed in working his ass off that he never had time for his family anymore which resulted in a gap that made them more detached from one another. Deborah couldn't handle his way of life which made her pack her bags and leave with their only son, Pierce Alexander.

"Come on, Wilson. Why wouldn't you let me contact your family? They need to know," I begged. I tried my best to persuade him into giving them a call.

"I already told you. They don't care about me anymore so just drop it," he muttered in annoyance.

Instead of arguing with him, my face softened as I tried to understand why he was beating himself when in fact he didn't even know if it was true.

"I don't believe that," I whispered. "I could feel that she still cares for you. You just have to reach out and try."

"I can't let them know. If I get better, then I would give them a call. Does that sound good enough?"

I shook my head in defeat. I knew I was getting nothing out of this argument. He was too stubborn for his own good. "Alright, you win. But I'm not letting go of this conversation."

He just gave me a weak grin and let the conversation drop. "Okay, time for bed old man. I'll be back tomorrow and annoy you with my caring ways." I gave him a smirk as I kissed him lightly on his forehead. I knew that it irked him but he secretly loved it.

Wilson was diagnosed with a rare type of heart disease last year. He never thought that the pain he had been experiencing on his chest was serious until I forced him to get an appointment with a doctor. We found out that his heart was weakening, and if he kept on working and stressing himself out, then it was not good for him. He could eventually die.

I was scared for him, like really scared.

After finding out about his condition, he took it as if nothing was wrong with him. I was afraid to see that it clearly didn't affect him. He still forced himself to show up to work and busied himself managing everything. I tried warning him about his heart but he would just dismiss me from his office. He never wanted to hear any of it.

"Olivia, I'm fine," he shot back for like the hundredth time that day. I made him take his medication as I kept asking him if he was feeling okay. I couldn't help it. I cared for the man like he was my father. I didn't want to lose him.

"You're not. I know I'm not your biological daughter but I don't want to lose you too!" I screamed in exasperation. He knew I was talking about my parents. He needed to know someone cared for him and that he didn't have to suffer alone. He had me.