ii. grin or growl

CHAPTER TWO
( grin or growl )

❛ fuck off, jason ❜

ATHENA CRAWFORD HATED MANY THINGS. She hated the blisters on her heels from the cute shoes she bought only yesterday. She hated that the rundown-tavern showers only supplied cold water to wash the dried blood off her skin. She hated the way a man would lick his lips every time she walked past and the strength she had to conjure so that she wouldn't slash his throat. She hated the extra piece of broccoli the chef would always put on her plate whenever she dined at Wayne's Place. And she hated the unrelenting hardness of the chairs in the Assassin's Den.

"We need new chairs," Athena stated, scrunching up her nose as she shuffled uncomfortably in her seat, "they are literally a pain in my ass."

          "You're a pain in my ass," mumbled a young man seated across the table. Athena didn't need to raise her head to know who the comment had come from.

          However many things Athena hated, there were only three things that she truly despised. The first being men who lure women into being their own, personal, chew toys that they can screw and toss away as soon as they grow bored.
The second; people who find pleasure in torturing undeserving souls and taste joy in their agony. Although Athena doesn't necessarily shy away from torture, Bruce had always gone out of his way and made sure to show her the crimes committed beforehand. Murderers, rapists, slave masters, only the people who truly deserved it were unfortunate enough to suffer at Athena's hand. Her blood used to boil at the sight of them and once she grabbed the knife, screams so deafening would fill her ears, mind and soul, until all that she could think about was how much pain she could inflict until they pass out. Or die.
Third and finally, the most important of all; people more talented with a blade than herself. She once considered that it was jealousy that caused her rage and hatred, but then she reassured herself that the notorious Athena Crawford would not be vulnerable to such petty emotions as love or jealousy.

Unfortunately for her, her three most hated qualities were all that the man sitting across from her was known for. In his black tunic and tan pants, brown leather boots planted on the table as he retrieved a dagger from the inside of his shoe, he was the living embodiment of hell. Her top three most hated things delivered straight to her doorstep in a paper package, except with guns and silver blades in place of the golden string.

Jason Todd treated women how he treated his used weapons. First, he'd hone them to his liking, fine tune them until they were almost perfect and utterly devoted to him, and then leave them in a fucked up mess on the side of the road.

He had no heart when it came to torture, either. Athena remembered the time Bruce had beaten him until he could barely hold himself up when he found the multiple bodies scattered throughout the sideway alleys, all with their finger nails missing and an "R" carved into their chests. It got worse when Bruce found out the worst crime they committed was cheating in the game of poker Jason was involved in.