Chapter 27

Serena's POV:

The house looked tidy and simple as I followed Darien. He led me down the hallway to a back bedroom that held a bed meant for one person. Darien sat on it before pulling me onto his lap and wrapping his arms around me.

I could still feel the lingering bits of tension from his earlier fight. I leaned against him to help him relax. He lay back on the bed and twisted me so that I lay on his chest. His arm draped over my waist as his other hand twirled a strand of hair that had escaped my ponytail.

He blinked languidly at me and I rested my cheek on his shoulder. He leaned his head against mine. It was more intimate than anything we had done so far, but the bond was trying to make it feel natural. I felt a bit shy, but there was no real awkwardness.

We simply lay like that for some time and I slowly felt the remaining traces of tension leave his muscles. The contact also had the same effect on me and the last of my nerves from my narrow escape faded. It was peaceful with no one else around.

I realized just how much I had missed the peace and quiet that I had grown so accustomed to over the years. Things had simply been crazy since I met Darien, yet I was still glad that he had found me.

I seriously hoped that things slowed down. If this is what people meant by excitement and adventure, then they could have it. I would rather just have quiet time with Darien without all of the drama.

I still marveled at how much I loved and depended upon the man I had met only days ago. Just the thought of it warmed my heart. Darien murmured, "I can sense your love and you have no idea how happy it makes me feel."

I blushed, "Exactly how much are you picking up? I somehow doubt that you are actually reading my mind."

He hummed lightly in thought, "Not as much as you likely think. The ability is really quite limited, although it is clearer when you are touching me. I mostly pick up strong emotions and occasionally images. I can't actually hear your thoughts though, which kind of disappoints me."

I turned my head so I could see his eyes. He could occasionally pick up images? I concentrated and brought up the memory of when I had seen him hiding in the trees from the bus window. All I could see were his glowing blue eyes. I held that image and tried to push it to the front of my mind, willing him to see it.

"Can you see what I am picturing?"

His eyes focused on mine and I knew he was trying to get a read on me. I focused solely on that image. He suddenly blinked in surprise, "So that was how you spotted me in the shadows. You weren't kidding when you said my eyes glowed. Do you still see the glow?"

I nodded, "Yes, it is always there. Every Tarulk I have seen also has glowing eyes, although they don't glow as strongly as yours. Is that something the mate bond might be responsible for?"

"That could be possible, although I have never heard of anyone ever saying that our eyes glowed."

"You are the only one I have told so far. Oh, I was talking with Alex and he told me to mention that I can sense your direction through the bond."

Darien blinked in surprise, "You can? That is strange. I can't sense that."

I nodded, "It surprised Alex too. I think it is a handy little trick." I tilted my head, "Some stories on Earth said that soulmates could speak mind to mind, is that actually possible?"

He shook his head, "No, mindspeech isn't one of the bond's abilities. It tends to respond to emotions, not thoughts."

I sighed, "Drat. That would have been handy, especially the way the last few days have gone. I practically need a cellphone with you on speed dial."