IX. THE BAD PLACE

❝GRIEF IS GOOD, BUT GUILT IS POINTLESS

❝GRIEF IS GOOD, BUT GUILT IS POINTLESS.❞
-DEAN KOONTZ, THE BAD PLACE (1990)

          "ARE YOU REALLY sure you want to know what I'm about to tell you?"

          Faye didn't know what to do when the boys confronted her. Lying would result in mistrust and telling the truth would result in the boys' lack of safety, not that their safety wasn't already compromised when they decided to head into the woods and found El. So really, the best decision was to just tell then what she could. That didn't mean she wouldn't toe the line when it came to certain aspects of her story. 

          They nodded in tandem, it was her cue.

          Faye took in a deep breath, preparing herself. She began, "Ever since they found me in the woods, things have been... off. I've been having weird visions."

          "Like what?" Lucas asked.

          "Things that you don't want to know about. Trust me when I say that what I've seen is far beyond anything you, or anyone for that matter, should ever have to see in their lifetime. But what's strange is that they're not just visions. They almost feel like they've happened before. Happened to me. Memories, perhaps. But that's not the strangest of it all. I've been seeing things, too. I've had these moments where it feels like I'm looking through someone else's eyes, but I'm not even sure they're the eyes of a person... It wasn't anything I'd ever seen before, but all I know is that this thing wasn't anything this world could create.

          "But I'm begging you, kids. Don't try to find this monster, because I have-"

          "Demogorgon," Dustin interrupted, making Faye squinted her eyes in disbelief and confusion. He continued, "That's what it's called. A Demogorgon."

          "Dude!" Lucas chided.

          "Anyways!" Faye raised her voice so that the two wouldn't start fighting like they usually did. "I've seen what this thing can do, and it's not pretty. So if you really want to find Will, then two things need to be understood. One, you won't do anything rash. And two, I'm not leaving you kids alone to do this by yourself."

          "You mean, you'll help us?" Mike questioned.

          "Now I didn't say that... But, if everything that's been going on is somehow connected like I think it is- Will's disappearance, this monster, and even this girl- then maybe I'll have a better understanding of what the hell has been going on with me. And besides, I was never going to let you guys do this without me there."

          Faye saw the appreciation swell up in Mike's eyes, but the look of acknowledgment she attempted to give to him was dulled by the subconscious memory of what he had done to the snowglobe she gave him not too long ago... The glass scattered along the floor, the liquid inside pooling out in a blob of glitter and fake snow as the blonde woman inside was without protection- Her eyes flashed to the ground, away from Mike, once this thought came rushing back to her. She was sure the others saw it her expression, too, merely because of the fact it was so abrupt and poorly hidden.