17. Child of the Damned

"Good morning, Loki! What a wonderful day, isn't it?" Aurora smiles brightly as she wakes up and greets the morning. Just barely a second passes since she has opened her eyes, yet she is full of energy and life. It's been over a month now, almost two, since she arrived on Asgard and she would be in despair if it wasn't for Loki. Ophelia's death still lingers in the back of her head, making her nights uncomfortable.

"You literally just woke up, your certainty about the end of the day is to be doubtful." Loki comments with an annoyed groan, already having been awake for a while. Actually, Aurora doesn't know that he barely finds sleep.

"But that doesn't mean you can't hope for a good day, right?" She smiles and gets up, stretching her body. Waking up, getting ready in the bathing saloon, eating the same meal, sleeping- that's her daily routine, plain and ordinary. Usually, she would've exploded of boredom but Loki keeps her entertained with conversations, story telling and sometimes bickering.

"Your breakfast has arrived." He informs her of the tray of food when she returns from the bathing saloon with a guard and enters the cell. It is, as always, bread and cheese.

"Not to be mean but this looks like rubbish. I don't want to eat." Aurora refuses to even touch the tray and Loki rolls his eyes at her immature behavior.

"Do not tempt me and eat. Your health will deteriorate soon if you keep resisting to eat, your body'll not sustain this condition any longer." The God of Chaos has noticed how she slowly loses weight and is getting skinnier, a sight he is not particularly fond of.

"You can talk, you're not forced to eat the same shit every day. Look at your five-course meal, it's like you're not even imprisoned but rather living in a luxurious apartment." She complains and sighs. "I'm gonna starve in this cell. But hey, I'm glad that you care."

"Oh, don't be overdramatic."

"Says the drama queen."

"I'll read to you out of the book of your choice if you eat." He bargains and now Aurora is all ears, catching the bait. She asked him over the days if he would read some stories to her since she couldn't get the books through the force field. Loki kept saying no, too annoyed to read out any books but now he seems to have changed his mind.

"Aw, you would do that for me?" Aurora smiles slightly and Loki cringes at the thought of him being kind to her and he turns around.

"On the contrary, I've changed my mind, you shall have my blessing to starve." A part of him enjoys to tease her, the other part is worried about opening up to her. This whole friendship is still a new experience for him, something he does not like because he's not the superior in this field.

"Asshole!" The auburn-haired girl yells at him but immediately shuts up when the Queen suddenly appears just out of nothing in Loki's cell, probably caused by magic. As always, she looks like royalty with the flawless strawberry-blonde hair and silk dress, her blue eyes revealing nothing but kindness. Loki tenses up, sensing the appearance of his mother although he thought he would never feel that again. Turning around, his assumption is confirmed by the presence of the woman that raised him.

"Hello, Aurora." Frigga first greets the bubbly prisoner with a warm smile, eyeing the girl, even though she knows how Aurora is doing due to the guards and servants that inform her every day. "As it seems, the prison is fortunately not only completed with tedium. The dress suits you."

"Thank you, your majesty. I have to admit though that I prefer my old clothing." Aurora responses and the smile of the Queen widens before she faces her son and reason for the visit.

"Loki." Her voice rises with hope, her motherly love seeps through. "It's wonderful to finally see you again."

"Likewise." Loki answers uncharacteristically soft, yet almost distant, not taking advantage of his silver tongue as usual. The fallen prince glances at Aurora who suddenly has the feeling that she would ruin a family moment. "Would you mind to leave for the bathing saloon?"