Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen – Safe Haven

December is now here and everything is moving much too fast for my liking. There are deadlines I need to meet, exam stress along with working at the hospital which doesn't allow me to study as much as I would like.

On a late Tuesday evening, I walk out of the hospital with a sigh, stopping short when I notice Kaden leaning against the hood of his Mustang. He straightens up, waving me over. I make my way over to him with a confused frown, wondering what he is doing here.

"Hey...I told you I'm getting the bus."

"I want to show you something so I came to pick you up. Shall we go?" He asks, making me look at him sceptically before nodding.

I get into the car before he starts the engine and reverses out of the parking space, heading down to the main road. "Where are we going?"

"It's a surprise." He murmurs, glancing at me from the corner of his eye with a small smile.

I nod and let it be, leaning against the seat so I can rest my tired muscles. Today has been hectic at the hospital and I'm craving a relaxing bath to soothe my exhausted limbs.

"How was your day?" I ask, sighing in content when the car warms up.

"It was good. I finally got the project with that big company I was talking about the other day." He replies, taking a left at a junction.

"Oh my god, that's amazing Kaden! I'm so happy for you!"

"I should be thanking you Luna." He laughs, turning into a narrow street. "I couldn't have done it without your advice, they loved how much I talked about my job and what plans I had to collaborate with others. So, thank you."

"Oh, I'm glad I was of some help then." I smile, letting him curl his hand around my thigh as he relaxes in his seat.

I'm glad I decided to wear jeans today because his hand is emanating heat onto my leg, which would have had me overwhelmed if I was in tights or something. I ignore the giddy feeling and I realise with a start that I'm so used to it now.

I look out the window to see that we are now on the outskirts of Berlin, the green fields and countryside views greeting my line of vision. I spot some animals in the fields here and there but other than that it's all vibrant green grass.

"How was work?" Kaden suddenly asks, catching my attention.

"Hmm, oh! It was okay, a bit tiring since I was in the A&E for the whole day instead of spending half my time there and the other half at reception." I reply, resting my hand on top of his.

"It must be tough just on your feet all day tending to patients." He muses, a slight frown on his lips.

I shrug half-heartedly and nod. "It is...but, it's worth it."

"You're very passionate about nursing." He smiles, the overhanging trees casting a shadow on his face as we pass under them.

"I just want to help people become healthier again because everyone needs to be taken care of, whether they are going through something as small as a fracture that can heal easily or a long-term illness that takes time." I play with his fingers absentmindedly. "I want to help doctors save lives...even though sometimes it's not possible, I still want to contribute in some way, whether that involves bringing patients their food or fluffing their pillows or just talking to them when they are lonely."