Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen – Lupus.

It's exam week.

Currently, I'm on the top floor of the library studying the notes I have made, with every other student occupying the tables around me. The place is packed and quiet with the occasional sound of pages being turned or the clicking of pens.

My last exam is today and since seven o'clock in the morning I have been sitting here reading and rereading my notes. It's now twelve-thirty and my exam is at one in the gym hall. I feel prepared and confident that I will ace this exam, but I also carry around feelings of nervousness and dread.

I twirl the pen in my hand as I read over my notes, just wanting it to be over already. Maddox is reading his notes at the table in front of me, his eyes narrowed on the words. His body is tense like mine and I shoot him an encouraging smile once he looks up with a tired sigh.

I check the time on my phone, seeing that we have fifteen minutes left before we must leave. I notice messages on my phone from Kaden, Eva, my brother and parents and instantly unlock it, tapping into the conversations. Everyone is wishing me good luck, which makes me smile and thank them.

The minutes seem to pass by quite quickly and before I know it, Maddox and I are making our way to the gym. There is a seating chart right inside the hall with our student numbers and class codes on it. I write down my number in my notebook just in case I forget it before we walk inside.

There are rows upon rows of tables and chairs and we need to walk a fair bit to the right where we finally find the row where we are in. I see my number first and wish Maddox good luck, watching him walk further ahead before he finally settles in a seat.

There are some familiar faces beside me and I greet them, chatting about how prepared we are and what we think is going to come up on the exam. I see hundreds of students walking around and trying to find their seats before and some already talking to their friends.

At exactly one in the afternoon, the exam begins and invigilators start giving out the papers. I breath out, taking a swig from my water bottle before the man reaches my desk and hands me the paper.

Turning the page, I start on the first question.

***

I sigh in relief as I walk out of the gym with Maddox, chatting about how we found the exam and what questions we did. It was a long two hours in there but I finally did it and now I can go back to Amsterdam for my winter break. I'm very excited to see my family again and just relax at home.

Eva is flying back to London tomorrow and Maddox is leaving after me for Chicago. I have two days here in Berlin before I catch a flight back home. It will only take me around two hours at the most so I went with that option rather than getting a train which would take many hours.

We walk to the library and I pick up my laptop and notebook, swinging my backpack over my shoulder before bidding goodbye to Maddox, who has plans to meet up with a friend for dinner. Making my way down the steps to the parking lot, I spot my bike and walk over to it. Unlocking it, I get on and start cycling out of campus and towards my house. Within twenty minutes, I am home and putting the bike in the back garden before stepping through the back-door Eva has opened for me.

"How was the exam?" She asks, wiping her hands with a towel.

"Quite good, I'm happy with it." I grin, placing my things down on the table. "Are you all packed for tomorrow?"