Chapter Twenty

*Important Note: I don't know much about Amsterdam and how Christmas is done there so if anything is wrong, I apologize in advance. I researched a bit online and therefore, I cannot guarantee that everything I say about the following events are correct.

Chapter Twenty – Amsterdam.

The first week and a half has flown by as I anticipated.

I spent it catching up with my relatives and completing my gift shopping. Today is the day we are going to be putting up the Christmas tree, my parents have gone out to buy one whilst Nick and I are currently buying gifts for them.

Because our Dad is an architect, Nick buys him a Lego set made for adults every year. He has already ordered a Lego set that recreates an architectural wonder and went for the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum. I have bought them two tickets to a show they have been wanting to go see ever since they heard it was coming to Amsterdam.

Nick and I decide to buy Mum a necklace and earrings from a jewellery store in town before getting Dad a smart watch. We split up to get presents for each other and I walk around, trying to decide on what would be the perfect gift for him. As I am doing that I decide to buy something for Eva, Maddox and Kaden for when I get back to Berlin. The three of us have been doing this since our first year at university but now that I have met Kaden, I want to get him something too.

I decide to get my brother a video game he has been talking my ear off for ages and a leather weekend holdall that miraculously fit my budget. Next, I buy Eva and Maddox's presents before finally ending my shopping trip with Kaden's gift. It was extremely hard picking out something for him but I made the decision and now I just hope that he will like it.

I meet up with Nick by his car and he fails to take a sneak peek of his presents, a smug smile on my face when he groans at the sight of tissue paper covering it. We drive home with me yelling at Nick to slow down and not get us killed. By some miracle, we arrive home in one piece and I hop out of the car, rushing inside so that we can wrap our presents before our parents arrive.

Around four in the evening, we hear their car pull up before Dad calls Nick down to help him bring the tree in. I greet Mum with a hug and help her sort through the ornaments and decorations we will be putting on the tree this year and around the house, along with lights for outside.

We manage to decorate the tree faster since it's the four of us. Nick set up the basket at the bottom so that the tree wouldn't fall over when we backed away. I wrap the lights around it evenly whilst Mum and Dad hang the white and gold themed ornaments onto the tree. We work whilst listening to Christmas songs that play on my Mum's record player, singing along and laughing at my Dad's poor attempt to hit a high note. Nick places a star at the very top before we turn the lights on.

There is a mixture of white stars and gold baubles hanging from it. The lights emit a warm glow and I cheer at how festive it feels already. We went all out and decorated a very colourful tree last year so this time Mum wanted something nice and simple, something that represents a white Christmas.

Whilst our parents decorate the rest of the house, Nick and I are put on garden duty. We carry a large box of various Christmas lights outside with me protesting on how we should get a ladder since I'm too short to wrap them around the trees. He waves off my concerns and tells me that we'll be fine before walking over to the trees.