The Hostage

(Diana's POV)

"Are you sure you can't slow down?" It felt like a roller coaster ride. Entertainment rides were not really my thing. Butterflies of nervousness filled my stomach as the car gained more speed. It skidded on a slippery asphalt with a screeching noise. I straightened up in my seat fearing we would die in here.

"No, not really," Sam said, clutching my hand firmer. I felt more at ease knowing he was here with me. In the end, I was beginning to think that we didn't really have much say in any of this. I tried to relax, focus instead on the feel of his hand. It felt warm, reassuring.

The car made a sharp turn to the right as if it wanted to confirm who was in command here. When it came to a sudden stop, I asked hesitantly. "Where are we?"

"Somewhere close to the Mansion. Let's get off in here."

"Great!" It was anything but great. We were back to reality, I was afraid whatever happened in here would be irreversible. I wanted to walk away from the Mansion, not walk towards it.

"Uhm...Sam. Don't you think it's a little bit rash for us to walk into a situation like this? We still don't know how to handle the dark shadows. Not really." Yes, the necklace hurt them in their shadow form so we could get away and yes we knew how to push back the blackness in a host for a limited time, but that was pretty much it.

"We don't really have a choice, Di."

As I pushed the car door open, I bumped into a hard chest which had the essence of silvery white. Who was he? An enemy or friend? The only thing I knew was he was not possessed. That didn't say much. I retracted back into the car seat immediately. I saw Sam lurch forward aggressively to protect me but then the colors of calm surrounded him.

"Wow, I thought you would never show up." The voice came from the chest still blocking my way out. The voice was certainly familiar.

"Riley, what are you doing here?" asked Samuel.

Riley was here! Oriana's husband. Sam's brother in law. I owed him for introducing me to Samuel, at the time I hadn't appreciated that fact. Now, I did. I'd been angry when he had fetched me out of nowhere to give blood to Samuel. It had made me furious not to have a voice in this. Even if they'd claimed it was to make Samuel normal again. Not a bloodsucking vampire. That's how he'd started healing. By taking my blood. Now, I was grateful that Riley had found me. What if he hadn't? I didn't wanna think about it.

But what was he doing here?

"I came to check up on you, of course. Your sister was worried sick when she didn't hear from you. And, then I walked into this crap."

"Were you in the Mansion?" I asked.

"No, not really. I didn't go inside. It's surrounded by Lucifer's soldiers."

"What?" Samuel shouted.

"Yes, they must have escaped from Hell when I put Lucifer into an eternal sleep."

"Are you sure?" Sam insisted.

"Of course, I am," he laughed. "I would recognize these shadows everywhere. The strange thing is they seem to have evolved here on Earth. I've never seen them possess someone. Did you know the vampires here are all gone?"

"Yes." Samuel's voice was bitter. A toxic darkness hovered around him alerting me to his state of mind. He was deeply troubled.

"Okay...good. Also, nothing seems to work on them. I ran into one and tried some of my tricks, but nothing happened to it. I don't understand. This place seems to have empowered them beyond what they were. "