Chapter XXXV: To Force, And Be Forced

Lady Katherine Harrington of Johanne

16 November, Year 1 of Sebastian VI, Emperor of the Longbournian Nations' reign

Amöneburg Palace, Amöneburg

The Longbournian Nations

The next morning, on the threshold of the dining hall, Princess Dorothea had her arms wrapped around me in a vice-like grip. She had buried her face in my neck, and had been refusing to release me for the past ten minutes.

Prince Jacob and his brother Prince Paul were kneeling down behind her, close to pulling their hair out of their roots.

"Dorothea, do you not want to see Nanny Rita?" Prince Paul coaxed her, "and your poppets? And the chickens, the pigs and the horses?"

Princess Dorothea shook her head vehemently. "I want to stay with my new friend."

"But Nanny Rita is your best friend, and she misses you," Prince Jacob tried next, "you do not want to make her sad, do you? You know how much she loves you."

That made her hesitate. "But Kat - "

"Do not worry, I will try to visit you in Brauchitsch soon, sweetheart," I assured her softly, "and then we can play with your poppets, and more games like the story game we played yesterday."

She pulled back to look at me, her eyes shining. "Promise?"

"Pinkie-promise."

She hooked her pinkie with mine, beaming. "Bring Tallie and Bash with you when you come."

The Princess, who was standing behind me, laughed as she munched on an apple for breakfast. "Aye, most definitely," she confirmed, "and I will drag Brother-mine with me even if he is busy."

Princess Dorothea released me, and flung her arms around her cousin. "Come soon."

"I will, darling," she promised, "now go with your brothers. Have a safe journey, all of you." She glanced up at the men with a faint smile.

They nodded at her. Princess Dorothea allowed Prince Jacob and Prince Paul to hold each of her hands, and together, they strolled out of the dining hall, and towards the courtyard.

"Well, Mistress Hohenstaufen," I sighed, as I watched them leave, "I believe it is time we returned to the Academy and break our fast. Do you want to ride with me?"

The Princess smiled impishly, tossing the core of her apple aside. "I will be returning to the Academy," she informed me, "you, on the other hand, will be staying right here."

I raised an eyebrow.

"Read this," she held out a piece of parchment towards me.

I accepted the neatly folded parchment from her, wary and suspicious of her suddenly happy mood, and opened it up to read a few sentences written in an unfamiliar, large, bubble-like penmanship.

Katherine,

I am so sorry I was unable to meet you when you came to my study earlier. I was, and still am, very busy with making arrangements for Tante Loraine's upcoming trial, with the help of the Crown Council. It is going to be a terrible week, for certain.

In any case, allow me to make it up to you. Would you like to join me for a cup of tea before your morning theory classes? If you are agreeable, I will meet you in the dining hall at around 09 00 hours.

Yours,
Sebastian

I glanced at my timepiece. 08 45. My guard duty at the Dowager Duchess' chambers only began at 10 30 today.