Chapter 4

Ralph felt a wave of relief wash over him the moment Alice came with him.

"What do you think you're doing?" she hissed at him as he lead her to an alcove.

"I don't catch your meaning," he replied happily. He liked it better when she was snapping and scolding him. At least this was real.

"You insulted him," she said flatly, as if he was daft.

"I merely wanted the pleasure of your company," he shrugged.

"It's too bad that I don't want the same thing," she snapped and made to move.

"Don't," he said, suddenly angry.

"Unhand me," she warned. Ralph hadn't even realised that he was holding her wrist.

"What were you doing with Bates of all people?" He asked, not releasing her.

"It's none of your concern."

It was the reply he'd expected from her and yet it angered him more.

"You're not to see him from now," he said firmly.

"Does your arrogance know no bounds? You don't own me, Ralph. No one does," she said.

"You don't understand..."

"Oh please do enlighten me," she said sarcastically.

"He's a cretin, unworthy of your company. He's a bad man and his behaviour is improper, Alice."

Much to his extreme vexation, she began to laugh.

"What amuses you so, my lady?" He asked through clenched teeth.

"The fact that you think you're a connoisseur of propriety," she said, still laughing.

"I assure you, when compared to Bates, I am indeed that," he grit out, desperate for her to understand.

"Ralph, I don't know why you suddenly care about who I socialise with. But get this straight..."

"Alice, there are things you know nothing about," he cut her off.

"And I prefer it stay that way. Ignorance is bliss, remember?" she smiled up at him ruefully.

He didn't miss her meaning. She'd undoubtedly liked him better before she'd caught him with Lady Dolby.

He couldn't tell her the entire truth, but he could tell her one thing.

"Not that it's any of your concern, but nothing happened between Lady Dolby and I," he said.

She looked surprised at his directness.

"I don't believe you, but I also don't particularly care," she said carefully.

"I care," he said, solemnly.

She stayed silent for long moments, searching his face.

"You kissed her," she said finally.

"She came onto me."

That much was true.

"You said something about chasing her."

Did the woman forget nothing?

"I did. But I assure you, my interests in her were not of the carnal nature," he replied, truthfully.

Alice wasn't convinced, but he'd have thought less of her had she believed him so easily. She swallowed and he knew she was dying to ask more questions. But Lady Alice Woodbury had too much dignity to indulge in curiosity.