34. Benedict

When my body fell out of the vivid portal, I expected to be back in the Midtown high-school parking lot where my car was. But when I opened my eyes to see the Avengers compound, I knew that the Doctor had helped me out. He had transported me back home with my car and book bag.

I stood in the parking deck outside the compound, my maroon sports car was parked in its usual spot, and my book bag rested on the floor beside my feet. I bent down and picked up my book bag, pulling out my phone that was tucked in the side pocket. Phone calls galore from Dad and Pepper, also Rhodey and Peter. 50 unread text messages. I'm in for it. They aren't going to be happy when I walk in.
The sun was sinking behind the trees, and cold night air was setting in.

I walked up the stairs to the compound, my feet padding silently on the ground. As soon as I pushed open the glass door and entered the lobby of the compound, two angry people approached me. They stalked down the stairs with sharp frowns.

"Jessica Elizabeth Stark!" My Fathers booming mad voice vibrated around the walls. I rubbed the back of my neck.

"We have been calling you all afternoon!" Pepper said in a frantic tone. Her hair was ruffled from when she had ran her fingers through it. I stood in the middle of the foyer, my book bag hanging off my shoulders. I was prepared to accept any punishment that was coming my way "We called your phone, we called Peter and his Aunt, we called your friends. No one knew where you were!"

"Your phone, give it to me now" Dad demanded, holding out his hand and awaited my device. I didn't argue, I dropped it in his palm "and your car keys" he added.

"Whoa, now that's too far" I raised my hands up.

"Car keys" he narrowed his eyes, his fingers tightening. I sighed, but handed him my keys as well "You'll have these back on Monday" he shook the keys in the air "but I'm keeping your phone for awhile"

"Okay" I nodded, looking to the wall. My shoulders dropped "I'm sorry I worried all of you. I didn't plan on staying out that long"

Dad shoved my phone and the keys in his black pants pocket and crossed his arms over his chest "Where were you? Be specific"

"I was, uh..." I rocked back on my feet, unable to meet their eyes. They leaned forward and waited intently for my reply "I was helping a friend" I said quickly, giving a small nod of my head.

"Which friend, what's their name?" Pepper asked.

"His name is, uh.... B- B... Benedict, and he needed my help to find something, and we... found it"

"How vague" Dad muttered, unsatisfied with me. I shrugged my shoulders. Pepper tucked her red hair behind her ears "Benedict, Huh? Sounds like a fake name"

"Benedict is not a fake name, have you ever heard of Benedict Cumberbatch?"

"Nope"

"Oh, whatever" I gave up. Just then, my boyfriend bursted in though the glass front door of the compound. He ran in breathlessly as if he made the whole journey on foot.

"I'm here, I tried to get here as quickly as possible" He wheezed, leaning forward and placing his hands on his knees "Is Jes-" he paused, noticing me standing there. I gave him an awkward wave.

"Thank you for your concern for my daughter, Mr. Parker. She finally decided to show up" Dad walked passed me and to Peter "Turns out she was helping a boy named Benedict"

I gave my Father a glare, but didn't say anything.

"O-oh" Peter straightened out his posture, wiping the sweat from his forehead "That's uh, that's cool... I guess. At least she's not in danger. You weren't in any danger, right?" He asked me.

I shook my head.

"Okay Jessica, Peter can stay but you are grounded. Go hang out in your room" My Dad pointed up the stairs. I didn't hesitate, I grabbed Peters hand and pulled him upstairs with me. Pepper and Dad watched us until we disappeared up on the second floor. He was struggling to keep up with me. We passed by Vision. I greeted him swiftly before literally pushing Peter into my room and shutting the door behind me. Since the compounds renovation, my room had been remodeled with new furniture and decorations. It had a coffee shop kind of feel with cream colored walls and black bed sheets. Portraits and photographs lined the walls and white curtains flowed in the open window. My desk was chocked full with books. I went to my book bag and pulled out the thick book that Doctor Strange had given me.

"Uh, um, Jessi... we only started dating not too long ago, and I would hate to take things too quickly-"

"No No No No" I shook my head with slight disgust, my short hair swaying back in fourth. I tossed my book bag on the chair and removed my black jacket, tossing it on the bed. He stood awkwardly in my room "That's not... ugh, anyway, I wasn't really with a guy named Benedict" I explained. I sat him down on my bed and began to explain in full detail what had happen after I left the school.

How the Doctor sucked me into his house, sent me on a mission to find Thor, how I met Loki again, and finally how Strange told me that I saved him last year in the car accident. He sat with his mouth slacked, his palms resting on the bed. I paced back and fourth, trying my best to keep my voice down so no one would barged in.

"So yeah" I breathed, placing my hand on my chest. He moved over on the bed and patted the covers so I could sit next to him.

"Well, are you Okay?" Was the first thing he asked. I immediately felt my heart melt at his concern, I walked over and plopped down next to him.

"Yes" I nodded, linking my arm with his "It was just a lot to take in. Seeing Thor and Loki, meeting a Wizard. I've tried to put all this crazy stuff behind me, but somehow it finds its way back"

"Some people are just born to be super, I guess" Peter shrugged, leaning his head against mine. He was still a little too timid to touch me. We are still new into our relationship, that's why. He would never want to make me uncomfortable in any way, I appreciate that.

"And some people are bitten by radioactive spiders"

"That too"

"So" he joked "I guess I don't have to worry about this Benedict guy stealing you away?"