Chapter 19: Initiation

Nicolas leaned back onto his desk, running his hands along his cheeks. The room went silent after hearing the door close. Seven didn't know what to think. Web Baze asked for both of them at the party.

How irresponsible.

Seven let out a soft exhale, turning his attention to the CEO whose appearance just screamed exhaustion. Dark bags under his blue eyes. His eyebrows furrowed, and his lips were pale as snow. Dehydration and insomnia, his cheeks red from the tension he put in his hands. The assistant frowned, turning his head slightly, "You alright?"

"Thank you." Nicolas interrupted, dropping his hands onto his desk and staring at his assistant. Seven's eyes widened a bit, hesitating a nod, "For- for what?"

Of course, Seven knew what Nicolas intended when he said that. He knew that Nicolas wouldn't have been able to make up an excuse when someone you fear is standing before you, yelling... screaming in your face.

"For sticking up for me."

Seven's heart dropped. Hearing the sadness in his voice as he gave Seven a cheap smile that was supposed to look genuine. Ochoa nodded again, "It's not like you could've told him the truth anyway, right?" Seven chuckled, trying to lighten up the mood, "We both would've been fired."

Nicolas gazed down, fixing the rich watch on his wrist. His hands trembled, but his posture was clean and elegant. It reminded the assistant of when he was in high school, taking an exam. Sitting on the desk with a clean posture, his back straight and chin held high... everything was fine until the eyes would look down at his hands that gripped the pencil, shaking; sweating.

Though, knowing the reason behind Nicolas's empty response to his father, Seven did what he did was right for his boss. Ochoa put the pieces together and assumed Nicolas was flat-out scared of the man screaming in his face. Picking up the fact that Nick has dealt with being told his mother's death was his fault, Serene could understand why his father was scary in his eyes.

In Nicolas's eyes, he wasn't scared. It was more disappointment in himself for making his father angry. He has never felt like running from his father, but more learning to improve himself to his father's expectations.

"Right," the CEO responded softly, "Still, you didn't have to make up an excuse for what I did."

Seven frowned again, shaking his head lightly, "Sir, out of respect, I think... I truly believe that as your assistant, I should be able to assist you whenever I see you struggling with something. Is that not what I'm supposed to do?"

Nicolas picked his head up, his eyes scanning the male's freckled face, giving him a short smile, "Of course," he nodded, "I don't expect anything less."

Seven smiled.

Nicolas let out a huff, turning around from his desk and walking around the wooden furniture, his hands sliding on the edge as he walked behind and towards his leather chair, "Are you going to attempt to convince Web Baze again?"

Seven threw his hands behind him, standing in a straighter position to appear professional again, "Of course. The chairman has asked me to do so. Even so, it was my fault that what happened last night ruined the company's chances of-"

"Stop." Nicolas interrupted, his eyes shooting a glare at the assistant, "Your fault?"

Seven's posture eased up, his shoulders falling a bit as he gazed at the person sitting in front of him, "Uh- yes?

Nicolas nodded, leaning onto the desk and setting his elbows on the table, interlocking his fingers and setting his chin on them as if he were interested in Seven's explanation, "You want to explain?"