Chapter Twenty Three

This extremely cute cover was created by the talented jo7452. Thank you so much!!!

Chapter Twenty Three

"What's got you so crazy?" Casey asked when I nearly dropped two drinks when carrying them literally two feet away from where I was to the customer.

"Brendan came home last night and that means he's coming here today and I haven't seen him in over two weeks so I'm a bit nervous," I quickly and breathlessly explained as I'm trying to finish more orders. It's the morning rush hour when everyone is stopping by before work and there's more people than usual, even more than when there's a semester going on, which is weird.

"Well just be careful, okay?"

In my haste, I manage to run into the edge of the counter where the door is to get into the back and spill hot coffee all over myself.

"Shit," I exclaimed, feeling it soak through my shirt. Casey immediately pushes me through the door and assures me she can handle the people while I go clean myself up.

I hurry into the bathroom and take off my piping hot shirt and go into the room where we keep our stuff to see if I can find another shirt somewhere. I find an extra shirt in Casey's bag and quickly pull it on and go back into the bathroom to try and clean the coffee out of my other. Luckily the shirt was black, so I don't have to worry about stains, but I still need to clean it.

When I'm done, I make sure I don't look too crazy and I head back out there to see that it's calmed down a lot while I was gone.

Finally.

Except, all isn't good when I see Brendan standing off to the side waiting for his order that Casey is currently making.

Before I can slip back into the back, she hands me his order and nudges me over to give it to him.

Why am I still so nervous?

"Hey!" He cheerily greeted me once he saw me approaching him.

"Hey."

"I saw what happened, are you okay?" He questioned after I handed him his drink.

"Yeah, I'll live, it's just coffee," I shrug it off.

"I'm glad, wouldn't want anything happening to my date tonight," he responded with a confident tone.

"Huh?"

"We're going out for dinner, remember?"

"Oh, yeah, sorry. This morning has been pretty crazy. I can't wait," I try my best to blow off the fact that I forgot but I have no idea how convincing I really was.

"Meet here at six?" He proceeded to ask, seeming to buy my response.

"See you then," I answered with a smile at the end and him leaving after.

That was close.