2: Silent Prayers

At the time, it had seemed like a good idea to leave. However, experiencing first hand what freezing temperatures the sea breeze had to offer, the moon elf was having second thoughts.

Miya sat on an aged tree stump, her bow settled between her thighs. She held onto its shaft in exhaustion as she pondered on where to go from their current (and utterly devastating) place of stay. Though the old Lighthouse offered shelter from any probable rain, it ceased to shield them from the harshness of the waves as they crashed against the chasm below them. The sound reverberated throughout her entire body, rattling her. With the chilling cold, she couldn't help but smile bitterly at the prospect of frostbite

A hundred feet drop, is what Miya first thought upon seeing the cliff. At one point in time, it must have served as a useful guide for lost sailors. However, since the Crusades of the Church of Light, seafare along the coast of the Unnamed Mountains were prohibited. Superstition led most to believe that the blame lied on the faults of Franco and Bane- the supposed guardians of the sea as well as its worst enemy. Miya was not ignorant to the tales of their constant skirmish. The Viking and the Pirate was a superb favorite among young elves back in the day.

At one point in time she used to be fascinated by such bedtime stories. But the happy experience was just that- a remnant of a long forgotten past. She, unfortunately, could no longer live in mediocrity.

Miya closed her eyes, dreading to think about anything. If she did- if she gave in for just one brief moment- she knew her thoughts would consume her.

Your fault

This is your doing

Their blood are on your hands

"No..." She whimpered, her grip tightening around her bow. "That's not true."

Rationally, she knew she was right. How could anyone be blamed for defending their own family? It was the fault of the blood orcs that had attacked them and the humans who so foolishly jumped into the fray.

And yet, Miya could almost see the blood still fresh on her hands.

Humans and orcs alike.

"Miya?"

Miya snapped out of her reverie, her eyes meeting Nana's concerned ones. The older elf tried to smile, but it came out flimsy and painful.

"Nana... Sorry, did you need something?"

The youngling pursed her lips. "Were you having bad dreams again?" She asked. Surprised, Miya looked stunned for a few seconds. When she registered what Nana had said, she allowed herself a small chuckle.

"No." Miya exhaled, caressing her bow. "I was thinking. You need not pay any mind to it."

But this weak response didn't settle well with the cat elf. Consequently, Nana kicked a nearby pebble towards her and harrumphed.

"You're not okay. Nana knows you're not okay!" She declared. Miya, further stunned by her companion's sudden outburst, sat staring at her in a mix if awe and amusement. Encouraged by the archer's silence, the cat elf began pacing, muttering all the while.

"This is an important mission! Nana knows- knows very well! That's why Nana must make sure Miya is okay. Miya is strong but you can still rely on Nana!"

Ah, Miya thought. Whenever Nana would start referring to herself in third person, it meant she wanted to be taken seriously.

Miya sighed. "Thank you for your concern." She smiled. "But I think a certain youngling needs to get some sleep."