Chapter 23: Insecurity

Hermione sat with her back against the arm of the sofa and pulled her legs up to her chest. She delicately held the stem of her wine glass between her fingers and gently tilted it in circles, watching the deep red liquid swirl inside. She sighed, took another sip, and allowed the side of her head to fall against the back of the couch. She glanced at her coffee table out of the corner of her eye. It was covered in parchment, newspapers, and books. She had been trying to get some work done that evening but finally gave it up as a lost cause. She simply couldn't concentrate. There was a light knock on the front door and Hermione's eyes moved in its direction, but she was unable to see it without lifting her head.

"Come in," she said lazily.

She heard the soft click of the door being magically unlocked just before it opened. Hermione lifted her head and smiled softly.

"You know, in the future you might want to ask who it is before you tell them to come in," Harry smirked.

"I knew it was you," Hermione said simply.

"Do I have a unique knock or something?" Harry asked as he walked around the sofa and took a seat at the other end.

"Well, I would probably be able to guess by that, but I knew you'd come," she answered. "You said you would."

"Wine?" Harry asked curiously, looking at her glass.

"Yeah, would you like some?" Hermione offered.

"No, I had some at dinner, actually," he said slowly. "But, I don't think I've ever seen you drink wine except for special occasions."

"Well, that's normally the only time I drink, but it seems to have become a regular thing now," she replied.

Harry frowned. "How much have you had?"

"Relax, Harry. This is my first," Hermione responded with a lopsided smile. "I just needed a little help relaxing."

"Why? What happened?" he asked with concern.

"Nothing."

"It's not nothing. What happened? Is it that girl? Did you go to the police station today?" he pressed.

"No. I mean, yes, I went to the police station, but no, it's not what we were looking for. The poor girl was robbed and stabbed to death," Hermione answered sadly.

"Then what is it?" Harry asked.

"Nothing. It's just… everything," Hermione replied, staring into her wine glass. Hermione glanced up at him and saw that he was waiting for her to continue. "It's just, during the day, I busy myself with tasks. It's a puzzle, just a case that we're working on and I can keep myself together for the most part. But when evening comes and it gets quiet, it just all presses in."

"Then talk about it," Harry urged.

"I don't know what there is to talk about," Hermione said honestly. "It just is what it is."

"What is?"

Hermione sighed. "Everything. I…" Her insides twisted and she finally let all that she'd been holding in just fall out. "My life has just been flipped upside-down. A couple weeks ago, everything seemed so simple. Now… We're trying to bring down a nefarious witch who returned from death. I have visions of real memories where I watched my friends die. I have a two year-old son. My relationship with my mum is strained. My father won't speak to me. I'm seeing Draco Malfoy. Draco Malfoy, who is the father of my child, whom I just met. And now, Narcissa Malfoy knows about it. I mean… he did tell her, didn't he?" She wasn't sure if she wanted him to confirm or deny that. She knew that she'd be upset either way. She did not know Narcissa, but she didn't feel comfortable with the woman knowing about her and Draco, let alone knowing about Aurelian. But at the same time, she would feel hurt if he could not admit those things to his mother.