Coming Clean

This chapter has NOT been edited.

***

"D-Dad?" I breathed out. I turned to River to see he was also catching his breath but he looked a lot more composed than me. "What are you doing here?"

My father raised an eyebrow before smiling.

"Well," he began with a chuckle, "I had a board meeting which just ended so now I am about to head to work," he said as he pointed behind me. I turned to see that the car I had been leaning on was indeed my father's.

I felt my face burn before I stepped away from it, a sheepish smile on my face. My father looked from River to me.

"I should be asking what you two are doing out here, but I have had the displeasure of witnessing it firsthand."

I literally wanted to dig my own grave right then and there. 

"Sir," River greeted, stepping forward to shake my father's hand. 

"River," he looked at me before turning back to River, "it has been a while. It would have been more desirable for me had we not met like this but there is nothing we can do about it now."

I didn't even need to build my own grave actually. I  could literally feel myself falling ten feet under.

"Dad," I slightly whined, walking towards him with an embarrassed look. I buried my face in his chest, somehow thinking that would end this nightmarish experience. Getting caught in that situation by your father has to be the worst way to let your family know about your new boyfriend. 

Fortunately, the awkward situation didn't last long as River received an emergency text from one of the nurses. 

"River," my father called out just as River turned to leave after bidding his goodbyes, "you may want to clean yourself before you go back," he said as he pointed to the area around his lips. I looked to see that my lip stick had smudged on and around his lips. 

I felt my face burn even harder. River looked at me, seeming a little confused so I placed a finger on my lips and showed it to him so he knew that the lipstick was the wet type. His cheeks reddened a little as he thanked my father before leaving. 

My father walked towards his car and I followed suit. 

"Are you angry?" I asked in a low voice. My family weren't strict but I had never really given them a reason to be. I always had a lot of friends, male and female, but my behaviour was never inappropriate and my parents always told me that they trusted me. My mother often told me not to do things that would embarrass her and I didn't know if publicly kissing would be something she would look down on. My guess was yes but she wasn't the one who had witnessed it so I pushed that thought to the back of my head.

"Why would I be angry?" my father asked, unlocking his door. He turned to me with a small smile playing on his lips. 

"I'm not sure..." I trailed off. "You once told me I wasn't allowed to date until I was thirty."

"I told you that when you were five and wanted to marry that singer..."

"Enrique." 

He chuckled. "Although your mother and I like to treat you like a baby, we know that you are all grown up now. We aren't expecting you to never fall in love," he said, his voice turning serious. "We cannot stop you from dating but we would like for you to be responsible."

I looked down at my hands in embarrassment. My father placed his hands on my shoulder and slightly rubbed. 

"River is a good person. I'm glad it's him," he gave his blessings.