Chapter 67 - In which the truth fails to set me free

*If I could turn back the clock

I'd make sure the light defeated the dark*

Groaning, I push my hair out of my eyes as I open them. 

"What happened?" I mumble in a low voice as Fred passes me a glass. I notice the chains have been removed from my wrist and despite being extremely grateful, the action confuses me. 

"You had a panic attack and then collapsed," Fred says in a low voice as he sighs. "Merlin knows what that snake Malfoy did to you," he continues as his hands ball into tight fists.

"Malfoy?" I ask surprised and it takes me a moment to register the fact that not too long ago, I was being tortured by him. It's weird, since being back with the twins, it doesn't feel like I left at all. But the absence of one man in particular reminds me that things have changed.

Fred pauses for a second as if he's considering what to tell me. "He brought you here. You looked like you were closed to death. I swear I would have murdered him Lily bu-"

"But what?" I ask sharply.

"He told us about you know," Fred says his voice dropping. The look in his eyes is so familiar, it makes my old barriers go up almost like a natural reaction. It's funny; no matter how much time passes, I'll still be the girl whose scared of people finding out the truth about me. 

"Oh," I say simply, sipping the water. 

The twins know about Snape. They know about the monster that my guardian truly is. Part of me is glad, I don't have to recount the story. But another part is angry. If George knows about what I went through then how he can be so angry with me? Does he not understand that I've paid for my crimes? I've regretted becoming a Death Eater the moment I transitioned and I've had to deal with that. There is nothing George could say or think that could be worse than what I believe.

Yet the man who insists that I see the positive sides to everything, refuses to see my side of the story. Or maybe he's just tired of listening. I guess there's a limit to kindness after all.

"What else did Malfoy say?" I ask lightly.

"He gave us some stuff. Said you'll need it to believe him. I think it's just documents and stuff to prove that your dad owned the house. We haven't gone through it though. I mean it's y-"

"The house," I breathe as my eyes widen. Flashes of a conversation I barely remember having bombard my mind. Malfoy was jabbering on about something... something important.

"Yeah, your childhood home apparently. I'm sorry but your guardian is seriously messe-"

"The Jones's," I say aloud to confirm that I heard that name. Malfoy did tell me about the owners of my father's house, of my home.

"The who-now?" Fred says raising his eyebrows at me. "Are you sure you're feeling better?" He reaches over to feel my forehead, but I slap his hand away. 

"Fred. Shut up." I command, but for some reason that causes him to ramble some more about something called post traumatic stress whatever. Concentrating on my breath, I block out his voice as I close my eyes and try to picture the memory again. I was hyperventilating and Malfoy was yelling at me for being stupid. Oh if only he knew just how stupid I've been lately. 

It's been there all along. Right in front of me. How could I have not considered this before? 

After the Jones's, the Pibbly's, this house belonged to...