vii. fights & acceptance

CHAPTER SEVEN:FIGHTS & ACCEPTANCE

CHAPTER SEVEN:
FIGHTS & ACCEPTANCE

■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■

LIZ DIDN'T THINK that she would be spending her Friday morning pulling straws to see who got the job of going into a trash bin to look for Dart, but that's what happened. Thankfully, Lucas was the one who pulled the short straw and was forced to jump into trash bin. She, of course, laughed when he cursed his friends about having to go in there, to which Mike responded with, "Stop being a baby and do it already."

She watched as he jumped in and started talking about how the smell made him want to puke. Liz chuckled at Lucas's disgust as Max said, "This is so disgusting. Is this really necessary?"

"What the hell's going on?" Dustin questioned, finally arriving to school.

   "What do you think? We're looking for Dart." Mike states, leaning on one of the sticks that the five of them were gonna use to look through the trash without having to touch it.

   Bags of trash fly out of the trash bin, and land on the ground between the trio and Dustin. Lucas hops out of the trash bin, smelling like actual garbage, "Well, well, well. Look who finally decided to show up. After I drew the short straw. Real convenient."

   "You stink!" Max exclaims, going over to stand next to Dustin who looks happy with the situation.

   "Hi, Max." Dustin smiles. Liz's eyebrows furrow in confusion before she finally gets it. Dustin and Lucas both have a crush on the redhead. She clenches her jaw before realizing what she's doing and stops, trying to get herself to stop feeling weird. Although, it wasn't weird she was feeling, it was jealousy almost, which was weird to her because she did not like Max. Girls aren't supposed to like other girls like that.

   "Hi..." Max responds awkwardly before looking back at Liz who was looking sad and frustrated. She made a mental note to ask Liz about it later.

   "Where's Will?" Dustin asks Mike.

   "He'll be here." Mike answers.

   "Are you just gonna stand there?" Lucas questions Dustin. He pauses and throws him a stick, which he catches. "Or are you gonna help?"

   They start to poke at the bags of garbage, but find nothing except a few cock roaches, and trash. They eventually have to go to class, and take their seats in Mr. Clarke's room. The bell rings signaling class starting, and Liz glances over at Will's seat. He still hasn't shown up yet.

"All living things, from complex mammals to single-celled organisms, instinctively respond to danger. Expose a bacterium to a toxic chemical, and it will flee, or deploy some other defense mechanism." Mr. Clarke explains, as Mike looks over at Will's empty seat and sighs. "We're very much the same. When we encounter danger, our hearts start pounding. Our palms start to sweat. These are the signs of the physical and emotional state we call... fear."