Carl Or The Cactus

(Ally POV)

Beth and I quietly talked about our lives before the apocalypse while Judith was sound asleep in her crib. Her, Maggie and Hershel used to live on a farm with the rest of their family before Rick and the others came. Now they were here.

I talked about the whole being a foster kid thing. How I was invisible to everyone for most of my life and the only thing I was good for was being blamed on 24/7, though I lied and told her everything wasn't that bad.

We then figured the conversation was getting too depressing, and Beth said we shouldn't live in the past, so instead we played Would You Rather and ended up having a bit too much fun.

Beth giggled, trying to cover her mouth so she wouldn't wake Judy. "Okay, okay." She took a deep breath, trying to control herself. "Would you rather eat a snake or a spider?"

"Die." I quickly respond. "I'd rather die."

Beth giggles, as do I. "Seriously?"

"Yes. I hate bugs and snakes." I shake my head as I continue to laugh. "What would you rather eat?"

"Spiders. Their smaller, and I'd imagine a lot easier to swallow." She explains, as if we actually have to make that decision.

Hey, come to think of it, one day we actually might have to.

"Umm..." I try to think of another good Would You Rather question, but nothing comes to me.

"I have another." Beth says, helping me out.

"Good, I don't."

"Would you rather... kiss Carl, or kiss a cactus?"

I stare at her and wait for the just kidding. But she never says it. She's dead serious. But... I can't help but laugh. "Wait... Seriously?"

She nods and laughs lightly. "Yes, seriously!"

"Well, a cactus, obviously. I would love to poke my face with sharp needles!" How could I not go with the sarcastic answer in this situation?

Beth laughs, rolling her eyes. "No, seriously." She says, trying to control her laughter.

"Is there a serious answer to this question?" I ask and Beth just shrugs. "...What did Carl tell you?"

"Nothing..." She giggles. "Just a whole lot of blushing."

"What do you mean?" I ask, intrigued.

"Why? You interested in him?" She raises her eyebrows, an evil, manipulative smirk on her lips. I don't know how small, sweet, innocent Beth could be this mysterious.

I shake my head but my heart rate picks up speed and there's butterflies in my stomach again. "No, I just want to know what you mean by he was blushing?"

"It was when you were holding Judith. He was staring at you, his face as red as a tomato." She explains, a small smile on her lips.

"Oh," I answer, nodding. I hope to god Beth doesn't see my blush. "Okay, I've got one. Would you rather-"

"Wait." She cuts me off. "You didn't answer the question."

"What?"

"Cactus or Carl?"

I roll my eyes. "Only because I don't want a bunch of tiny holes in my face... Carl." And I can't help but smile when I say his name.

Do I like Carl? Nah... Maybe...? I don't know, if I'm being honest.

Beth smiles, looking at Judith. "Thought so."

I roll my eyes but smile. "Shut up." Beth and I continue to laugh at more stupid things we do/say. 

"Hey," Both Beth and I look up to see Daryl, standing in the door. "How's little ass kicker?"

"Good," Beth answers when she realizes I wasn't going to. "Napping."

Daryl nods his head, shifting his eyes over to me. "You good?"

I nod. "Good. You?"

"Good."

"That's good."

There's an awkward moment of silence between us. Then Beth huffs loudly. "Stop saying good, you're giving me headache." She jokes.

Both Daryl and I laugh softly. "Well... You two have fun."

"Will do." Beth nods. Daryl turns to leave but then I remember something.

I get up and stop him just outside the cell. "Hey, Daryl?"

He turns around to look at me, crossbow gazing the floor in his hand. "Yeah?"

"Can we talk? Later? Alone..." I ask, shifting my weight all on one foot.

He nods. "Sure...." I can tell he's a bit confused as to what I want to talk to him about. "Tonight?"

I nod. "Tonight." He nods back and turns to leave. "Later, Katniss."

Daryl doesn't look back but I know he's laughing. "Shut up."

I smile, pushing the sheet out of my way as I re-enter the cell. Beth is talking to Judith who I guess has just woken up. "Aw, she's awake?"

Beth turns to look at me as I approach them. She nods. I stand next to her, looking down at Judith who is staring up at us. "Little ass kicker." I repeat, nodding my head. "I like it."

Beth giggles. "Daryl came up with it before she had a name."

I laugh lightly. "Why am I not surprised?"

We stand there in comfortable silence, gazing down at the adorable little fetus that is Judith. "Can I ask you something?" Beth asks, only turning her head to look at me.

"Shoot." I look up at her as well.

"Your dad... Why do you call him Daryl and not dad?" She asks in a kind, curious way.

I shrug. "He hasn't exactly been my 'dad' the past few years, before the apocalypse. I know it shouldn't matter anymore, but I think one needs to earn that title." I say honestly.

Beth nods. "I understand that."

I nod too, liking my answer. It was true, anyways. I'd like to call him dad, but I just don't know him yet. I don't want to get attached to him and then he leaves me all over again. And I'm not talking about dying. Dying is actually normal, though most people are terrified of it.

I do want his death to mean something to me, but he has to try just as much as I am if he wants to be close with me again.