Chapter Thirty-Five

Chapter Thirty-Five

"So, let me get this straight. Cronus got rid of his dad, so by prophecy, that means that one of Cronus's kids was gonna get rid of Cronus, and to solve the problem... he ate you guys... I'm starting to think you're not so bad after all."

I shook my head at Ambrosius's ranting. He'd been talking the whole way through the building. When he'd first been with me, he didn't speak hardly at all, always held his tongue. And now, after what? A year and a half? More or less. He's babbling non-stop like Theo. But Theo babbled endlessly when he was trying not to have a panic attack. Did Ambrosius just do the same or was his exposure to Thorn really this lethal?

"Ambrosius, I would love to chat to you about history I'm pretty sure I already told you about years ago, but we're kind of on this thing. I think it's called a mission, maybe? And it might be to kill the Titans, might be something else. I dunno. But it requires silence." I said dryly, moving down the hallway as I headed for a huge power source that no doubt had to be Rhea. The bitch wouldn't be smart enough to conceal her powers. She thought she was powerful enough to take me on without having to do so.

Unfortunately for her, I had a surprise waiting in on my holster to blast her into oblivion, but I had to work on the timing. The ritual required blood, a fun little chant, and her heart in my fist... and then in my stomach. It was why I'd been ripping hearts out along the way to ensure I was prepared to rip hers out.

Psycho bitch or not, she was still my mother and I loathed myself for such a thought.

Because it was the same thought that kept me from killing Zeus. Only Zeus was much more difficult because A) He was king for a reason. He wasn't just king because he put a crown on his head and tied a towel around his neck. He was king because he was the baddest of all asses and I hated it. Then B) Because Zeus was my brother. He was the one who saved my siblings and I from eternal damnation in Cronus's stomach realm. If it hadn't of been for him, we would still be wasting away in that cesspool. And despite my raw hatred for Zeus, it was that one thing he did that made it impossible to kill him.

But I'd be happy to beat the crap out of him.

"Can I ask another question?" Ambrosius asked after a while. I rolled my eyes, glancing over at him as he walked beside me, taking his goggles off his head and tucking them away. I frowned.

"Depends." I said after a moment, then paused at a corner and held my finger to my lips. He sighed, but said nothing as he backed up. We remained silent as the sound of footsteps came toward the corner of the hallway. A couple of guards started to pass by us, but Ambrosius shot out first and tackled one to the ground, rolling him over and snapping his neck. I caught the second one before he could go after Ambrosius, catching him and heaving him over my shoulder, slamming him face down on the floor. I whirled around, caught his arm just as it lifted, cracked it, then slammed my foot down on his throat and crushed it, killing him instantly. I frowned, dropping his arm and stepping back as Ambrosius stood up, wiping the back of his hand across his forehead.

"At least it wasn't another whatever his name was."

"Astraeus," I muttered, looking around, "There's less and less security the further in we go. This is a trap." Ambrosius frowned, turning to look at me.

"So what do we do?"

"Normally, I'd send you back to Lucifer and Dania, but we're too deep now. Just stay behind me."

"I think I'm capable."

"You think," I echoed, making Ambrosius scowl at me, "Ambrosius, Titans aren't like anything you've fought before. They make wraiths look like ladybugs. Just stay close to me." Ambrosius appeared irritated, but said nothing for a while as we continued to walk down the hallway. Ambrosius still looked peeved about the earlier conversation, and I sighed.