75: BUCKY: In the Next Life Part 4

A/N: THIS WAS A REQUEST FOR A FINAL INSTALLMENT FROM SO LONG AGO! Thank you for the patience! Sorry it took so ungodly long. Only warnings will be extreme sappiness and feels. The other parts of this story can be found in chapters 45, 49, and 53.

ALSO! I posted the first three chapters of my first Bucky book yesterday! If you get a chance I'd love it you could check it out, tell me what you think, or just give it a little read! I'm pretty excited about it.

Thank you for reading!

-Winnie

Words: 2.6K

Your life was beautiful. Your life was two little running feet, a white picket fenced yard, and a small yappy dog named Bruce Lee. Your life was waking up every day to the sunlight dancing through Bucky's blue eyes. Your life was holding hands when times got tough and drying tears. Your life was sitting around a Christmas tree watching as that little girl with long brown braids and chocolate colored eyes ran wild with toys and bows. Your life was yours: together. You'd moved heaven and earth to be together. You'd died, come back to life, and circled the world searching for the sad super soldier. He'd spent his life fighting past his old demons to be the perfect husband for you. As hard as the world had tried, nothing was going to take it from the two of you.

"Hey butterfly."

Your eyes flutter away from the elementary school recital stage to your husband standing to your side. The nickname he's used for you since that day on the roof having been the noise to draw you out of your thoughts. He leans over; kissing the top of your head, and his metal hand lingers on your cheek. You can feel the eyes of the jealous mothers around you checking out your prize. You're not jealous, though, because his baby blues are permanently stuck on you.

"Hey babe. Is Steve coming?" you ask as Bucky takes a seat on the bleacher.

"Yeah." He hands you your car keys. He's just been out to fetch the forgotten flowers from the back seat. Little Mariposa is going to receive the daisies from her dad after the choir performance is done. "I texted him and Nat to make sure. Steve said to tell Posy that Uncle Steve's on his way."

"She'll be glad to see them out here," you reply. You sit up straighter to try and catch a glimpse of your little Spanish butterfly behind the curtains. "She was so nervous."

Bucky chuckles. "She gets that from her mom."

"No way. Are you forgetting how nervous you were when you had to give the best man speech at Steve and Nat's wedding?"

Bucky, avoiding your eyes, rolls his. He sweeps the metal arm over your shoulders. "I was totally cool."

"Sure," you laugh. Gesturing to the teacher and a random student off stage, you say, "About as cool as a second grader with stage fright." The poor child sobs in proper sight of every parent in the seats.

"Oh—I see Posy," Bucky's excited voice draws you nearer. He points just off stage where Mariposa is clearly seen peeking out through the velvet screen. The fear in her little brown eyes is palpable. She wears a big blue hair bow and the cutest cream colored dress.

"Poor thing," Bucky mutters thoughtfully. Then, before you can respond, he sets the big bundle of daisies on your denim lap. "Hold these, babe. I'm gonna talk to her."

"A Sargent Barnes shape up speech?" You raise a skeptical brow.

Bucky smiles softly as he stands. "No, a dad pep talk." The glow in his eyes in unlike anything you've ever seen. Bucky Barnes lives for this family. He was born to do this: go to recitals, pack lunches, help with math homework, and watch Disney movies.