Code V: Canon in D

Xora gave Levi a curt nod as she exited the mansion; the corporal followed quietly after shutting the door. Together, in silence, they made their way to the limo, where Levi held the door open once more in courtesy. Xora climbed inside and Levi followed suit.

Once seated, the vehicle lurched forward as they started off to the Louvre. Xora expected only silence, but she was met with brief conversation.

"Here," Levi said, his hand outstretched. There was a small black device in his gloved hand. "Put this in your ear. It's device that'll keep the four of us in communication and under IE surveillance in case anything happens."

Xora took the device out of his hand and jutted it inside her right ear.

"Eren was supposed to be the bait," Levi sighed, inserting a communication device inside his own ear, "but we got stuck with this damned job instead."

Before Xora could speak,  the radio crackled to life, and Hange's voice came blaring through.

"Archangel!" a mechanical voice screamed. "Can you hear me? Can ya? Can ya?!"

The agent flinched and tore the small device out of her ear. She took a deep breath and pressed a button on the outer wall of the device before reluctantly shoving it into her left ear instead.

"I can hear you," she answered, sighing. "The volume was a bit loud, though."

"Sorry!" Eren's voice apologized. "My friend, Armin, helped me program it. I suppose we must have forgotten to adjust a few things before we handed them off."

The mention of Xora's good friend created a warm feeling in her chest. "I'll survive."

"Sorry about that," Hange's voice piped up, a distinct ruffle heard on the other side. "Anyways, let's go over our plan once more. When you get there there should be two security guards blocking the entrance. To get into the party, physical presentation of an invitation is required. Luckily for you two, being the genius, I am, I forged one for you guys. It's pretty believable, isn't it?"

On cue, Levi plucked a faded sheet of paper from the inside of his jacket, holding it so Xora could see what was printed on the invitation. The paper was very elegantly embroidered with maroon spirals and curves, embossing the yellowed parchment. Their pseudonyms were printed on them. She nodded once she read through its lengthy details and Levi pocketed it once again, resuming his gaze out the darkened window.

"After you get inside, try to blend in with the crowd," Hange instructed. "Remember, our main goal tonight is to collect intel and find as many possible leads as we can. Get to know the competitors, but do not—and I mean absolutely do not—get your cover blown. If you have any questions or information to relay, don't hesitate to inform the rest of us at any time."

"Understood," Xora spoke, the tension in her shoulders bringing a slight ache. Despite the goal of this assignment, she was also on the lookout for a different kind of information—information that had nothing to do with the Mona Lisa or even the Iridescent Empire. Taking a deep breath, she smoothed out the folds of her dress and placed her hands together on her lap.

The rest of the car ride was filled with silence, the only sounds coming from the earpieces as Hange and Eren chatted with each other.

Soon, the Louvre came into view.

It was a glorious building with intricate architecture, and the way the white lighting lit the building against the night sky nearly threw Xora into a trance as her eyes laid upon it. Right in front of the entrance was a glass pyramid held together by a maze of metal bars.

Levi left the limo and circled around to pull Xora's door open, holding it as he motioned for her to leave. Calmly but reluctantly, Xora clambered out of the limo and Levi shut the door behind her, holding out his right arm. She gently wove her arm into his and held onto the stiff fabric of the suit.