XX • Ex

Negan led Arat and Daphne upstairs and through winding hallways to his dining room, which also had a minibar. The blonde was flabbergasted at the exuberance of the makeshift penthouse, a condo fit for a king.

"You don't half ass anything, huh?" She ran a finger along the oak hutch by the door.

"Go big or go get eaten by fuckin' walkers," Negan grinned, and set Lucille next to an ornate copper sink. He shed his jacket on a nearby chair and Daphne's breath hitched in her throat. She hadn't yet seen him without the leather and seeing the white t shirt stretch across his broad shoulders and muscular back made heat rise in her belly.

Arat poured a few glasses of whiskey and handed one to Daphne with a knowing smirk. The blonde scowled at her and took a swig, relishing in the burn down her throat.

Negan hooked his deft fingers under the end of Lucille's barbed wire and started to unravel her, what seemed like miles of blood caked metal.

There was a light knock on the doorframe and the three turned to see a slight blonde in a black dress standing there. Her eyes were wide, bottom lip worrying between her teeth.

"Amber, honey," Negan said kindly, though there was a hint of lust beneath the smooth tones. "Couldn't wait to see me?"

"No... yes..." she stammered, and clasped her hands in front of her. "I need to talk to you."

"What is it, sweetheart?" He turned, though he didn't set down the bloody wire, making a menacing conversational partner despite his honey laden words.

"I-" she took a deep breath. "I want to go back to the colony."

Disappointment flickered across Negan's face, then was quickly replaced by suspicion. "Mark?"

"Nothing's happened," Amber said quickly, raising her hands in surrender. "I just... I can't stop being in love with him. I can't. It's killing me to be away from him and... I don't want anything to happen that would-" She cut off, but when her gaze flickered to Daphne, understanding dawned on the trio.

Negan barked a laugh. "Well I'm glad my little piece of strawberry pie has made an example," he said. "You don't want her to catch you breaking the fuckin' rules?"

"I would never- never betray you, Negan," Amber was visibly shaking. "That's why I-" Her voice broke and a tear slipped down her cheek. He set the wire down in the sink and cleaned his hands methodically.

Daphne watched with interest as he slowly dried himself, deliberately taking his time to make Amber sweat. But the act of leaving the wire as he crossed the room to Amber seemed to be a peace offering, and his soon-to-be-ex wife visibly relaxed.

He pulled her into a gentle hug and she burst into tears, burying her face in his chest.

"It's okay, babydoll," Negan cooed, petting the back of her wavy locks. "I'll fuckin' miss you, but I don't force women to be with me, right?" 

She nodded and leaned back, looking up at him with big sad eyes. 

He ran a finger down her smooth cheek. "You go ahead, pack your shit. I'll talk to Carson in the morning about a job for you."

"Thank you," Amber wiped at her eyes, offered him a wavering smile and then scurried off.

"Shit, I will miss that perfect little ass," Negan sighed, and strutted back over to the sink, snatching up his whiskey glass on the way. "You've cost me two fuckin' wives in one day, strawberry," he said, though there was a hint of amusement in his voice. "Maybe you try on some of that sexy ass lingerie you made, huh?"

Daphne rolled her eyes. "I think it would look better on Arat." She grinned deviously at her coworker.

"You're hilarious." The cinnamon skinned warrior placed her empty glass on the counter with a thud of finality. "I'm going to go check on Simon. Meet you in the basement later." She gave Negan a casual salute and exited.

He turned the water back on and ran Lucille's wire underneath it. Daphne wondered if she should feel badly that she'd been responsible for him losing two wives and a lieutenant. But she couldn't bring herself to. Sherry and Dwight were traitors, and Amber might have been had she not stepped up. Daphne was just doing her part. And her part now was taking care of the Sanctuary.

Her eyes raked down his back again to his ass, shifted slightly to the left and tight as hell. Fuck. Damn Arat, abandoning her to her hormones. An image flitted through her head of Negan naked beneath her, raking her nails down his chest as she lowered herself down onto his hard cock-

Daphne clamped her thighs together and shoved the thought away. This was not the time to mix business with pleasure. She had to solidify her position here, and she wanted to do it with her skills as a lieutenant, not her skills with her pussy.

"When Dwight and Sherry came back from their last romp, having fucked me over and gotten my wife killed, I was going to beat their brains in." Negan broke the silence, placing the shiny clean wire on a drying rack. "Sherry begged for her boyfriend's miserable life, told me she'd take her sister's place as my wife." He moved a flannel cloth delicately down Lucille's shaft, washing away the horrors of the day. "I knew they weren't fuckin' loyal to me, but they obviously were willing to risk dying to be here. So D took the iron, and Sherry took my cock, and all was fuckin' merry and bright.

"Except it wasn't, was it?" he mused, and dried Lucille with a white towel. He carefully patted the barbed wire dry and rewound it, poking the ends into specific little notches to hold her together. He did it with grace and skill and care, as he'd done a thousand times before, and Daphne wondered if anyone else had ever performed this particular ritual on Negan's deadly lady.

He turned, downed the rest of his drink, and set the bat down on the dining table. He crossed to the bar and retrieved the bottle of whiskey, returning to refill both their glasses. Daphne stifled a gasp at his close proximity to her, and almost opened her mouth to break the tension just before he spoke again.

"I probably should have fuckin' killed them then," he admitted, pouring the amber liquid. He set the bottle next to Lucille and leaned on one hand, that confident swagger contradicting his words of doubt. "But I couldn't help myself." He met her eyes and his perfect lips curled into a sly smile. "Putting people in their fuckin' place. Showing them where they belong."

Daphne's lips parted slightly at his low husk, and she resisted the urge to bite her lip. Flashes of him bending her over the table and putting her in her place-

"Makes me all fuckin' warm and fuzzy inside!" Negan declared with a grin, and downed his drink, and the moment was over. She was half relieved and half frustrated as he set down his glass and strutted to the door, reclaiming his jacket on the way. "Go get cleaned up baby, I'll pick you up in an hour for your induction. It's time for your fuckin' party!"