Denial

I continue to look at Alex. My body was burning up. I felt like I just ran a marathon. There was no way Alex just confessed his feelings for me willing. My brain puts two and two together. Alex was just trying to play with me again.

I laugh with relief. "Good one."

"What are you talking about?" Alex asks like he thinks I've gone crazy.

"Come on, I know what you're doing," I say.

Alex's forehead crinkles a bit. "What am I doing?"

I squint my eyes at him. "I know you're just playing with me, again." Before I let him respond I turn away and attempt to walk away but a hand grips my wrist, holding me still. I roll my eyes. How long is he going to continue playing this game? I turn and face him once again.

"Ana, I'm being serious," he looks right into my eyes.

I almost believe him. Be strong Ana, don't let your feelings get in the way. "Alex I don't really feel up to your games tonight, so can we please go back in and stop talking about this?"

Alex cups my face with his hands and gets a little bit too close. "Anastasia, I have real feelings for you. No games. I promise."

I blink several times. There was no way this was Alex. "Are you on drugs?"

Alex let's go of my face and sighs. "Why is it so hard for you to believe that I have feelings for you?"

"You really have feelings for me? Real ones?" I ask in horror.

"This is not what I'd imagined your reaction to be like," Alex says softly.

I stare down at me shoes. "Mean either." Damn it! What was wrong with me? Why can't you just say what you feel.

Alex tips my head up with his finger. "How do you feel towards me?"

"I...I..," I mutter out.

"Just tell me doll," Alex states firmly.

I gulp. "I'm sorry Alex, I don't can't return your feelings."

Silence.

Alex walks away from me as if I had the plague.
I
I stand under the stars with my hand over my heart. Everything around me seems like a blur. I need to get away. Maybe this is a good thing. This way I know I won't get hurt.

I take a deep breath and blink away my tears.
This is for the best. Right? Of course. I walk back into the party.

"Hey Ana, you alright?" Grayson asks .

I nod. "I just needed some air." My eyes scan the room until they land on Alex. He was smiling with a few women like nothing had happened. What a liar. I scoff. For a second I thought he had stopped his games.

"Did something happen between you and Alex?" Grayson asks pulling me out of my glare.

"Why would you think anything happened?"

"You look like you want to beat him up," he chuckles.

I sigh. "I just don't understand how someone can change their mood instantly. One minute he seems upset, and then the next thing you he's smiling and having a good time."