6. the phone call

Seb had a hard time calming down. He was waiting for that phone call, and of course that made time slow down to the pace of a snail on a Sunday stroll. He looked at his phone again: 9:30 PM. He should be getting ready for bed, so that his mother would remain silent.

With a sigh, he pushed himself out of his chair and headed off to brush his teeth. He might as well do that to pass the time, he thought. It wasn't like he had anything else to do. He had tried reading, but he was just thinking about Kaiden. At one point he considered to call Dylan, but then he remembered that he was waiting for a phone call, and what if Kaiden called when he was already talking...

He brushed his teeth, put on his PJs and settled into the narrow bed. Staring out the window, he thought of everything that had happened since he met Kaiden. How silly he was to be so excited. He didn't really know the guy. All he knew was that Kaiden worked at the café, and what he looked like...and his voice. That was another thing; Kaiden's voice was so confident. He loved the sound of it.

His phone lit up and buzzed around on the night stand. Seb snatched it instantly, but forced himself to wait a few seconds. It would be embarrassing to answer right away, as if he'd been waiting for the phone call all night; which he had. 

His head was swimming a little as he pressed to open the call, and his voice barely carried when he said: "Hi,"

"Hi there, what's up?"

Kaiden's voice was just like he remembered it. Smooth and confident and slightly deeper than what you would expect.

"Hi Kaiden," he said, weirdly thrilled by saying Kaiden's name out loud. "...nothing much, what are you up to?"

"Just got home from a friend's. Had a great time until his sister came back from her cheerleading practice. Keeps trying to get into my pants," he said and chuckled. Seb chuckled a little as well, but it seemed to get stuck in his throat. A girl was hitting on Kaiden, and not just any girl.

"She doesn't take the hint that I'm not into girls. Doesn't matter how many times I tell her," Kaiden continued, and Seb almost dropped the phone. Of course, he thought that Kaiden was gay, but hearing it like this... He didn't know what to respond.

"...yeah, must be a little irritating," he croaked out.

"She is. I guess she'll stop if she sees me with you though," Kaiden said, and Seb could almost hear the smile through the phone. His heart thumped in his chest, so loud that he was worried Kaiden would hear it. He knew he was supposed to say something, and probably something that showed he was interested, but what...

"...perhaps?"

Kaiden laughed softly on the other end. "You're unbelievably cute, Sebastian. Of course she would be jealous."

Seb grinned wide. Hearing his name like that...it sounded so nice when Kaiden said it. He almost missed the rest of what Kaiden said because he was so enthralled. 

When Seb didn't answer quick enough, Kaiden continued: "So, anyway, I thought I would ask if you want to do something this weekend."

"Sure!" Seb replied, completely unable to keep the excitement away from his voice this time.

Kaiden chuckled again. "So you're a little happy that I called at least, good! Why don't we meet at the movies at eight? Does Friday work for you?"

Seb blushed, he hadn't meant to be so obvious, but it was too late to take it back. Besides, Kaiden didn't seem to mind. He tried to remember if he had promised something for Friday before answering: "Friday works!"

"Great, then I'll see you then."

"Yeah, cool!"

Seb waited for Kaiden to say something more, or perhaps close the call. His stomach was tied in knots from the call and the expectations of meeting Kaiden on Friday, and that didn't help him right now. He wanted to say more, but he couldn't think of anything to say. The silence was deafening.

"...and Seb, thanks for saying yes to our date. Can't wait! Sleep tight."

Seb only gaped. What... His body was sizzling, his mind cracking, and he was still unable to come up with something smart to say in reply.

"Yeah, see you on Friday. Bye..." then he closed the call. He had to breathe after all.

He slumped down in his bed again, staring at the phone. Why was he so stupid? Why couldn't he be cool, like Dylan or Tyra. When he saw them he could talk, he could even make jokes, but with Kaiden... He groaned and buried himself into his pillow. It was all so embarrassing. He wanted to tell Kaiden how awesome it was that he called,  and that he was looking forward to their date. Their date... Oh my God! he thought, and hugged around his pillow. He was going on a date. With Kaiden!