15

"You're actually dating him?" Val asks for the third time.

"Yes!"

"And no one else knows?"

"Except Max."

"How do you plan on telling Alex?"

"The normal way," I shrug as if i'm not extremely nervous about him finding out. "I'm sensible. It's not like i'll get pregnant and engaged. I don't plan on doing that 'til i'm at least thirty."

Val thinks for a moment. "But you're actually dating him?"

I pick up a pillow from the couch and hit him in the face with it. My phone then buzzes so I pick it up from the couch armrest. Mom let me have it back after we had a deep talk about how i'm gonna stop drinking and how i'm gonna be a better daughter and blah blah blah. She realised things would have been a lot worse with Drake and why I need my phone, so my baby's back.

Jace  come to the game tomorrow night.

I have to think about this for a moment. Being with Wes has distracted me from any feelings I have for Jace, so I think I can see him play soccer and not fall head over heels.

"Jace wants me to come to the game," I tell Val.

"You should. It's gon' be good 'cause the other team are a bunch of morons that we're always scrappin' with after the game."

"You? In a fight?"

"Well, I mostly watch. It's real funny."

"Hmm, I do love drama."

+++

"So since when do you come to these things? I thought you hated soccer," Wes says as we walk through the parking lot full of lightly buzzed teenagers, using a soccer game as an excuse to drink. If circumstances were different, that would be me.

"I love soccer. I guess I just never thought of actually coming here."

"You expect me to believe that? Val's on the team and you love soccer, but you never thought of coming?"

"Look, there's Brooke," I change the subject, pointing to where Brooke, Tyler and Max are standing at Ty's car and laughing.

"There's the star couple," Brooke greets.

"Can't believe you scored Yasmin, man," Tyler holds up his hand to high five and Wes annoyingly does it.

"Do you mind?" Max says and Brooke pats his head.

"She's still crazy about me though, aren't ya babe?" Tyler slips his arm around my back and his hand grabs my ass. I widen my eyes and grab his wrist, twisting it in a painful way.

Wes shoves Ty and takes my hand. "Right, we're going."

"We're coming," Brooke states and they all follow us into the football field. We find spaces on the second row on the stands and sit there, making us in the perfect spot for Val's starting position as forward.

Brooke sits beside me and starts telling me how great it is that i'm coming to these again, except it's not as good now i'm dating Wes 'cause we can't drool over the hot guys. She stops talking when our team comes out and cheers instead. Everyone stands up and cheers and eventually I do too.

Cheerleaders do their cheer thing and the first thing I see is Val watching them as he walks, the slut. My eyes find Jace after that and freeze when I see him looking at me. He smiles slightly and I smile back and mouth the words 'good luck'.