PREPARATIONS (Iselen P.O.V)

I'm shaking. I'm still feeling the ice in my bones even if the room has regained the previous temperature. I don't know how much time I've spent standing up here, looking blankly at the food on the table that it's still warm like it's freshly cooked. I must bath and eat my dinner before Ruby arrives, I don't want her to be furious with me. When I'm going to the bathroom, Lucifer gets in my way and stares at me with feline curiosity; his eyes have the same shade of green than her owner's... before they turned bloody red a few minutes ago.

- WHAT is she? – I ask the cat. He doesn't answer, of course, and yet I think he understands me and deeply inside he's making fun of me because of my ignorance. He knows what is Ruby... and I think I'm starting to suspect it... but it can't be true...

After a quick bath, I sit down for dinner wrapped in a towel. I'm not hungry but I force myself to chew unwillingly a few bites of food: if she comes back and finds the dishes full she'll be livid again. I have to go to bed so I look for some underwear in my bag: this time is white linen embroidered with lilacs and daisies. The Sorceress smiled at my clouds and rainbows... did she like them or was she making fun of me?

Out of the corner of my eye I can see Ruby's open bag, a piece of burgundy silk with black lace is poking out under a black jacket. I look back over my shoulder trying to spot Lucifer; he's sprawled at the foot of the bed licking a paw. Discreetly I touch the piece of cloth and I take it off the bag: it's a camisole with matching panties, a beautiful and luxury garment. I've always wanted something like this but saving money was my priority.

Cautiously, I get close to the mirror and I consider my options... once again I check if Lucifer is still ignoring me and I decide to try on the underwear. They feel so soft on my skin, I look like an adult and not like a child with floral panties. The cat behind me is reflecting in the mirror, looking at me as if to say "is it worth the risk of vexing her again?" I take a deep breath and I decide that it's worth doing. Then I slip between the sheets and I feel Lucifer's warm body making himself comfortable snuggling against my back. In a minute I'm fast asleep.

(Ruby P.O.V)

I wake up vigilant and I check the room around me. To be honest, I don't need to sleep that much or very deeply so almost nothing can catch me off guard. Iselen turns on the mattress by my side and hugs me in her sleep, her breath fanning my neck now. "Be careful honey, I'm not made of stone" Last night when I came back she was sound asleep... wearing my underwear. The colour suits her, is a really nice contrast with her skin, and I observe that great minds think alike since one of the things I did yesterday was buying her some presents.

It wasn't planned that way, though. In fact, I went out to prepare for the next step of our journey. I lied to Iselen when I said that her uncle would chase her, honestly I don't think Fat Bastard cares about his niece, above all after drinking a couple of bottles. But I have one or two enemies that would be delighted to know that now I have a weakness they could attack to hurt me. They wouldn't have mercy with her so going to my homeland up north is out of the question. In the south is too hot and the bright sun light... I couldn't stand it.

Our best option is to go across the sea to the free cities on the other side, they're not that big but they're ambitious and they're making their way little by little, taking control of new trade routes and bigger territories. They look like a good place to build a future so I looked for a big and comfortable ship, with an experienced and reliable captain (I read his mind to verify it) and I booked a luxury cabin. There's a place in the hold for Deva with enough hay, water and food. Horses hate sailing, they get seasick easily, but I could calm her casting a simple spell and make things more comfortable for her. My girl loves that animal so I could use it to control her, if she makes me so angry again I'll threaten her with selling the mare; I'm perfectly capable of doing it. She doesn't know who she's playing with and I think it's time for her to find out.

But before... my eye was drawn to a shop window where I could buy some things to enlarge our wardrobe. We left in a rush and with only one bag each. Silk, satin, lace... I think I bought too much underwear for my girl...

- Time to wake up, beautiful, we have to go at noon and I like to have breakfast calmly.

Iselen opens her eyes, shocked when she realizes that she was almost sleeping on top of me. She tries to move away but my hand tangled in her hair stops her. I bring my mouth close to her lips and I graze them slightly, just putting a little pressure. When I pull away she looks at my mouth with caution in her eyes. Smart girl... do you suspect something? I kiss her again, this time sliding my tongue carefully between her lips; her taste is intoxicant... I need to stop now or we'll never get out of this bed to catch the boat.

- Those are for you – I point at the boxes near her bag.

She unwraps her presents like a child earning a hiss from Lucifer, she's pushed him accidentally when she got out of the bed. While Iselen searches in her new boxes I hold my cat in my arms, rubbing behind his ears and whispering that we're going to cross the sea but he shouldn't be worried, the cold water will never touch his sacrosanct fur, there's a warm spot for him in our cabin. Out of the corner of my eye I see some movement of red silk and velvet.

- Too sumptuous to travelling by boat honey, look for something more comfortable and warm and also flat boots, I don't want you to stumble on your high heels and fall into the water – I say while getting out of the bed before pouring me a cup of tea. Breakfast is ready on the table.

I hear Iselen moving anxious behind me, maybe she's nervous because I'm naked... I don't sleep with camisoles. I search in one of my boxes and I take an aquamarine with silver details silk dressing gown. If I wear this she can eat more relaxed, I hope.

- May I ask you a question Ruby?

Okay, here we go... It's time to make things clear. I nod and wait for her to speak.

- How old are you?

Once again she surprises me. That's not the question I was waiting for. Smiling, I bite slowly a strawberry , wanting to mislead her just for fun, before answering:

- I'm around 350 years old. I lost count long time ago – Iselen steps back and brings her hand to her neck, hiding it with a worried look in her eyes. That makes me smile: "calm down babe, to be honest I prefer your groin artery" Again, I bite another strawberry slowly and I sip my tea. She follows my lips movements very closely with her eyes.

- Can you eat?

- Obviously I can, you're seeing me do it right now. I like fruits and red meat, I barely eat vegetables and I leave the fish for Lucifer – she looks out of the window. It's a clear day even if it's a little cloudy. "Come on babe, you almost got it, ask me what you really want to know" However she looks out of the window again, and then she stares at my lips, at the strawberry bowl, at the cat, the window again... It seems to me that she doesn't want to say it out loud, as if she could avoid the reality not talking about it. Finally...

- You... are you...?

- A vampire? – I ask already tired of this game – say it loudly Iselen, don't worry... I don't bite – I laugh at my own joke.

- Vampire – she mumbles before passing out. Fuck, good thing I'm very fast and I'm able to take her in my arms before her head hits the floor.