CHAPTER XXXVI

– M A K A Y L A –

I didn't have time to answer her.

An explosion shattered the side of the wall sending pieces of furniture and rubble rushing towards us. I was thrown back into the wall heavily.

My vision blurred and I coughed loudly against the dusty air. The room was spinning now and flames could be see from the hole in the wall.

"Makayla!" Alex shouted over the chaos.

Her face came into view and then I felt her pull me to my feet.

"Al—" I coughed again, "—what the hell—"

Another explosion rocked the ground beneath us. Alex took my hand and held her other up to her ear. Whatever it was she heard... it wasn't good.

She drew her brows together in focus. Then they darted to mine.

"It's them. We're out of time." She growled over the rattle of more explosions and now gunfire.

"I am getting you out of here." She vowed. Then she tugged my arm towards the walk in wardrobe. I didn't argue. But I also couldn't contain my surprise when she pulled out a keypad and flashed her gloved hand across it and a hidden passage opened before us from the shelves.

She led us in quickly and the floors lit up in a neon blue light that lead the way.

She stopped before a small lift that could scarcely fit in a person. I pressed into it closely and turned to find her activate the glass door behind me.

The realisation hit me like a slap. She stood on the other side of the glass with a grim expression.

"Alex, NO!" I screamed as I beat a fist against the door. She couldn't possibly do this to me. Completely disregard her own life for mine again.

"I'm sorry, Makayla. But I made a promise. I will not allow your life to be endangered because of me again." She stated in finality.

I punched the glass directly this time in complete rage.

"This is not your choice to make." I growled. "It's my damn decision who I risk my life for!" I shouted as I stared into those burning golden irises.

"I'm sorry." Is all she said before hitting her screen once and the lift descended into darkness with me in it.

– S C O R P I O N –

"She's out of the picture." I snapped into the comm link.

"Then you'd better get to the rooftop before they take this whole tower down!" Proximo roared down the link.

"Where the hell are our counter strikes!" I demanded.

"Six units are closing in, possibly minutes away." He responded quickly.

"We don't have min—"

I was thrown sideways when the hallway wall blew out beside me. I hit the ground heavily and groaned into the plush red carpet I would likely never see again. All of it. Everything I had done to earn this keep... taken from me.