6

[Chapter six]

Jenny's mouth drops at the insult.

I would have expected some stupid smirk to be on Noah's face, but he just sits there, emotionless like always.

Everyone sits in silence.

Until Max breaks it.

"Oooohhhhh! Hot damn! You need some Aloe Vera for that burn?" Max questions.

Jenny's cheeks burn red.

And not one of those cute little blushes, either. She was full on, tomato faced, fire truck red.

She spins on her heel and quickly struts away just as the bell rings, signalling is that lunch is over.

"What do you girls have now?" Dylan question both Megan and I as we all get up from the table.

"Science." Megan answers.

"Math." I grumble.

"Aww, is little Nevaeh grumpy because she has math?" Max teases in a baby voice, throwing his arm around my shoulders.

"Get your arm off me."

"Yes, ma'am."

*~*

I walk into my math class, but one look at the letters and numbers on the board makes me turn around and walk right back out.

Seriously, as if math wasn't complicated enough as it is, they just had to go and add letters.

I mean, face it, Algebra, your 'x' is gone and she's not coming back. Stop asking me to find her!

I walk through the back doors of the school and lean against the wall.

As shitty as this school is, I can't deny what a nice view we have back here. And it's peaceful. No idiots back here sucking faces, or punching each other in the face for fun.

I hear the door open and someone steps out.

"Hey, Carter." Noah's deep, British voice floats through the air. "What's up?"

"Sick of trying to find Algebra's 'x'." I shrug as he leans on the wall next to me. "Actually, I walked into math than walked right back out."

"Huh." He pops his lips. "I did the same when I got to Science."

"You're not going to be one of those cliché bad boys and smoke a cigarette or something, are you?" I question.

I see him look down at me from the corner of my eye and turn around to look up at him, making sure he can't see more than my lips and nose.

"Carter, I have a younger brother at home I need to set a good example for." He tells me. "I'm sure you've heard by now that I went to juvie. I'm not proud of that. I don't want him to grow up and be like me. I want him to be successful and have a good life."

I am seeing a completely different side to the usually emotionless bad boy.

He looks broken.