22 | elliot

22

THE SUN COMES OUT in time for the Brantford game

THE SUN COMES OUT in time for the Brantford game. After weeks of preparing, the day is finally here—and I have the pre-game jitters. Nerves fray and pop at my fingertips as Coach gives us a pep talk in the locker room.

The past couple days have been crazy good. Lucy sleeps in my bed every night, and even though we haven't kissed or anything, just holding her and waking up to the smell of my shampoo on her hair gives me superpowers. I can't help but smile when I think about her watching me play. Today, I have to impress her. I have to win.

"Wexler." A pair of fingers snap in front of my face. The room's cleared out. It's just me and Zane. "Come on, dude, we need our best center. Get out there."

"Sorry. I'm good, I'm good."

Next thing I know, I'm on the ice. The cheering of the crowd pricks me with adrenaline. It's disorienting to look out into the bleachers filled with parents and kids and general fans of the junior league, but I find her wedged between a guy eating popcorn and a kid with cotton candy. Lucy waves to me with a big smile, and if I were close enough to see I know there'd be a cute gap between her teeth. I wave back. This is the first game Dad's ever missed, but with her watching over me, I know I've got this.

Our team's blue clashes with the other team's red. Brantford always puts up a fight, but the good news for us is I have wings today. So when the buzzer goes off, I'm soaring.

The next few hours speed by in a blur of sticks clacking and skates shredding.

I score the final goal.

We win.