Chapter 106

Prithvi strolled wearily on the enormous terrace in dense darkness. The wind was chilly but he felt impervious to everything apart from the agonising picture branded on his mind.

He would have to live with the image of Nandini's breakdown for a very long time, perhaps forever.

It had shattered him. And while he'd been standing dumbstruck in her room, memories of a different world had crowded upon him, and he'd seen her as she had been when he'd just moved to Shamli. Smiling...happy...carefree...filled with a natural exuberance and love for life and the whole world...

He had basked in that smile and love, and in return, had given her heartbreaks and fears, turning her into the sobbing, shivering figure in the room downstairs. In the past too, he had repeatedly behaved insensitively with her. But she had forgiven him every single time. Even when he had been at fault, she was the one who'd sought forgiveness time and again. It was a miracle she still cared for him...

The night he'd finally succumbed to the demands of his heart, Mochi had told him that his fears were unfounded. But the assurance had proved false.

He had destroyed her life in many ways...now the lone hope was that the damage he had caused to her and their relationship was not irreparable...

********************************

They were riding across the deserted land, horses galloping on rugged paths that had been untouched until now. Vegetation was sparse but the region glowed with an unnatural beauty. The only sounds were those of the horses' hooves and the blustery wind.

The orange hues of the sky warned of the approaching dusk. They needed to cover a long distance before nightfall, and she could feel that dangers were close by.

Yet, there was no fear in her heart.

Long hair flowing behind her in the wind, she glanced at the young man riding beside her. He returned her gaze and smiled warmly, and she felt a gush of steely strength and dizzying happiness. They were one with the elements and with each other...

The journey had been gruelling and exhausting so far. She knew his armour was extremely heavy, and underneath it, there were old and fresh wounds that were in need of healing. She too was wearing strong armour but it was much lighter than his, and her injuries were fewer and less serious. She could heal him and herself after they reached some sanctuary.

They could see a small stream now, and urged their horses to speed up. Once they crossed the stream, they would be completely safe. They reached the gently singing body of water in no time. He looked at her and with a faint gesture asked her to follow his lead, and she nodded. His horse charged into the stream and crossed to the other bank. Then he turned the animal around and gazed at her expectantly.

She coaxed her horse to move forward, but without warning, everything changed.

The little stream's water turned reddish brown, and it transformed into an enormous, raging river, frothing madly. Then her horse was gone, and she was standing alone on the bank. She realised there was a big gash on her left arm and it was bleeding copiously. Meanwhile, the river's waters were rising and devouring the bank. She hurried backwards, and looked at him powerlessly.

He was still waiting, confused and worried. Then he seemed to understand her decision, and the shock of betrayal spread on his features. He was going to leave any moment now. She tried to shout to him to explain her helplessness, but her voice was drowned by the wailing wind...