Chapter 18

I am internally screaming, but my mind is still somewhat intact and helps me take the steps forward to Mr. Grey's desk.

It seems like we saw each other ages ago, but in reality, he drove me home from the club last night. We met for the first time last night.

"Mr. Grey." I offer my hand for him to shake, which he gently takes and squeezes. The euphoric feeling I get from the contact shoots straight to my heart.

With a smile, almost as if he knows the effect he has on me, he corrects, "Please, call me Chris. I am only 21. Mr. Grey is my father."

My heart is now beating rapidly from the brief moment of contact, and I am flustered. I am positive that my cheeks are a bright pink at this moment, as I can practically feel my face rapidly heating up.

"Now you tell me your name," I quietly mumble to myself. I'm sure he heard it, because he begins to chuckle lightly.

"Have a seat, so we can begin the interview." Mr. Grey gestures toward the two chairs that sit across his tall black swivel chair. I pull out the seat that is closest to me and lower myself onto it gently.

He examines me for a few seconds, and I begin to grow uncomfortable under his unfaltering gaze. I decide to kick start things myself before the situation grows any more awkward. Gathering my résumé and other important documents, I lay them out on the table in between us and attempt to pinpoint my qualifying credentials.

"As I'm sure you know, I'm still a freshman in college, but I've accomplished much and I'm sure that I can be taught what needs to be done rather quickly. If you look at my résumé," I slide a copy right in front of him, "You can see that I have experience working in multiple environments under the section 'work experience'."

When I still feel his gaze burning into me, I stop myself so that I'm sure that I'm not beating a dead bush.

"Are you okay?" He asks suddenly.

"I mean yes I'm doing well but ---"

He interrupts. "No, no, I meant are you okay? Like the events of last night ---"

"--- Are most certainly events that I will never let happen again," I interrupt this time. "I can assure you, I will not go clubbing for a very long time, if ever." I laugh lightly in an attempt to lighten the tone of this suddenly serious topic.

"I would hope so," he says, but I can almost feel the underlying tone of possessiveness that comes with his words, daring me to put myself in that sort of danger again.

I tuck a loose piece of my hair behind my right ear and admit, "Well I am a little bit shaken up, to be honest. To think what those men might have done, had you not come along ---"

Interrupting me again, he states, "Don't think about what might have happened. You'll only end up frightening yourself by doing so. Just learn from your mistakes, and always have someone around you at all times to avoid these situations."

"But still, you saved me from humiliation. I don't know what could've become of me, and for that I am forever grateful. Thank you again." I offer a Mr. Grey a subtle smile, to which he responds by grasping my hand. Almost immediately, he drops my hand back down on the desk that separates us. I crinkle my forehead in confusion, but before I can process what just happened between us, he speaks.

"So, Miss Chambers, please explain to me why I should hire you as an intern for Grey Enterprises." He finally settles his internal debate with what to do with his hands by simply folding it on the desk between us.

I show him my qualifications on my resume through previous work experience and other high school accomplishments for the second time, seeing as he was distracted the first time. Looking down, I point out specific portions of my resume that I feel he should keep in mind when considering me. "As you can see, Mr. Grey ---"