Ghosts Of The Past

Klaus and Harper lay in bed one blissful morning. The sun shone through the windows and sheer curtains of the old plantation mansion. Harper was still early in her pregnancy and Klaus took care of her, even though she was very insistent on being the hero.

Klaus had something he hated to admit, something that past him would scorn him for. For loving this human in front of him. She was a magnificent creature whose smile broke through his cold dead heart and had him bursting at the seems. She was as beautiful as her ancestors before her but had more to offer with her wit.

This kind, soft morning had them both sleeping in, curled within the sheets. Harper's face was gold, the morning sun causing her to resemble a goddess to the man. Her hair fell in front of her face, and Klaus would move it. Her eyes opened, the blue hue unmatching her olive skin and chocolate hair.

They loved each other.

"I want to be here forever," Harper sighed, her fingers dancing across Klaus's skin.

"I'm afraid we can't, love. Soon enough, our child will want out of there," Klaus chuckled, causing Harper to laugh.

"Hm. Or death," Harper claimed.

"I would never let that happen to you," Klaus frowned.

"'Let'. You say it like it's a choice."

"That's because it is."

"Well, what if one day, say seventy years from now, I wanted to. Would you give me the choice?" Harper asked.

"Don't talk that way," Klaus snapped.

"Come on, Klaus. It is inevitable for me," Harper rolled her eyes.

"Some say death in inevitable, and yet here I am, a thousand years old, laying next to an exquisite beauty. I am the perfect picture of health and vitality. A master of my fate, a conqueror of death itself," Klaus explained.

"That's my point. You throw lines at death like it doesn't mean anything to you. But we both know that it does. What do you think death means?" Harper asked, her eyebrows quirked with amusement.

"Hm, so you think beneath the devilish banter and charming wit, Klaus Mikaelson bears the burden of a deep-seated trauma about death? I'll tell you what I know about death, Harper. Death dances silently in everyone's shadow. And she doesn't give a damn," Klaus sighed, swiping his thumb across Harper's cheek, "so, why give a damn about her?"

"You do give a damn. Why else surround yourself with immortals if not to avoid the agony of loss?" Harper questioned, placing her hand over Klaus's. Klaus shook his head and Harper chuckled, "I know you disagree, but I hope it's a long time before I'm proven right."

Klaus smirked and kissed Harper's forehead, "we should get up, darling."

__________

Klaus stood from the bed from where Harper lay, velvet blood spilling over the sheets. He paced, frantic tears and pants coming from him as he tried to understand. Anger and frustration quickly emerged by screaming and throwing things. The room turned into a mess of ruin created by his hands.

For if the one thing he thought was beautiful was destroyed, than everything else has to be.

Klaus finally had enough and slid down the doorframe of the bedroom, his heart going haywire. Klaus took his time to collect his thoughts before going back to the bed and sitting beside her again. His hands found their way around her, looking into her emotionless face, sniffing silently, trying to clear the tears.