Chapter One

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••
Just one more day. I told myself as I plucked corn from a plant in our small fields, putting it in the large woven basket beside me. One more day. I repeated again.

Tomorrow was the Rider Picking; which happens every 5 years; where 20 people around my age would be picked to go to a Training Academy to be a Rider. Besides being a Rider, you could be picked to be a Magic User, using magic to help aside the Riders. If you become a Rider, you either get a griffin or a dragon. Each of the Four Kingdoms, Adlanda, Maldon, Creth, and Belvmot; Belvmot is where my father, mother, brother, and I live; do the Rider Pickings.

My family and I don't have a very high status in our Kingdom. We work in the corn and wheat fields in our backyard, farming so we can go to the small shops posted in the middle of the Kingdom and sell our production of crops in the markets. Beside my fathers' weapon and tools workshop, selling our crops is the only other way to earn coins to provide for our family.

I finish collecting the ripe corn from the field, grabbing the large basket of corn. Walking quickly, I approach my house, stepping onto the wooden patio. I place the basket down near my feet, I open the back door, picking the basket up again as I walked inside my house. The door slams behind me. 

"Oh, your back from the fields. Amira, could you place the corn basket in the kitchen?"

My mother's voice called out from the kitchen. I nodded, bringing the corn to our small kitchen, where my mother was washing some apples. I place the basket on the table in the kitchen.

"Thank you. Oh, and your Father is coming home later tonight, he has to do some extra work in the shop."  

"Okay." I replied, patting my dirty dress from working in the fields. I look at my mother, while she starts washing the corn. Her long, red hair swept down to her hips. She pulls a strand of hair behind her ear, showing her ocean blue eyes. Even not next to her, I can still see the yellow specks of color in her soft blue eyes. Her small freckles matched perfectly with her pale skin, like little drops of paint against her perfect features.

I need to go change, this dress is uncomfortable and dirty. I think silently to myself as I walk into my room. My room floor is carpeted in a thin white fabric around my bed, my wooden bed posts curving up in the corners, decorated with small white painted patterns. My room, like all of our rooms in our one story house, was wooden. I look in the mirror that stood on my wall across my bed. My plain white dress was covered with brown marks from kneeling on the dirt to get some fruits in the fields. I groan, taking a quick shower and then changing into something more comfortable.

I look in the mirror again after changing. I wore a white blouse, with beige colored pants that ended at my ankles. I look up, touching the light blue oval necklace that hung around my neck.

It was something my mother had gave me for my 15th birthday, and I've wore it even since. I glanced at my face. My skin was pale like my mothers, but I had not a trace of any freckles. My blonde hair was braided down to my lower back, my small streaks of dirty blonde hair that was slightly tinted red swirled through my braid. The light blue necklace was perfect with my ocean colored eyes, with small specks of green in my eyes. I looked so much like my mother except for my mostly blonde hair.

I sighed. It's been such a long day, and my Father and brother should be getting back soon. As if it were on cue, I hear the front door open and close, meaning my father and older brother was home.

I hear my mom chatting with my father from my room, but I didn't really think about what they were talking about. I waited on my bed for a few minutes before my mother peeked into my room.

"Dinner is ready." She says, looking over her shoulder and leaving to go back to the kitchen. I get off my bed, opening my door fully. Walking down the hall, I already saw my mother, father and brother seated at our four seated table.

Dinner goes by quickly. Dad is talking about how the shop got busy today and how my brother helped him run the shop. Conversations continued, but I didn't really pay attention, I just kept eating my food. I finally look up as my dad brings up myself.

"Amira, you should be wearing a dress. It isn't ladylike to wear pants." He says sternly.

The conversations quieter down. "I just think dresses are uncomfortable. And I can wear pants. They look fine and pants are comfortable." I said back to him.

He huffs, ending the conversation. My brother and father go back to talking again, with my mother pipping in to the conversation here and there. I finish my dinner, and walk back to my room.

I flop down onto my bed, thinking silently. A smile appeared on the corners of my mouth. Tomorrow's the Rider Picking! I've been excited for this since I found out about it around a year ago. My parents kept telling me girls are rarely chosen, but that didn't stop me from being excited.

The last Rider Picking happened when I was around 9, so I don't remember it that much the last time. It was late, and all I wanted to do was fall asleep and wake up to an exciting day tomorrow. Not long after I closed my eyes, I drifted to sleep.

           •• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••
First chapter is done! Sorry that it's short. I hope you like it so far, but I'll get into all the Magic, Sorcery, and Dragons in later chapters. Please feel free to comment on tips, ideas, compliments, etc.

Now, this first chapter is a little sloppy. I couldn't sleep and ended up typing the first chapter around 12:30 midnight. So, this is not my best writing.
Have an amazing day and expect a new chapter tomorrow!
From,
ShatteredRealm