4: Natalia the Cookie thief

She heard voices from the hall.

The girl immediately ducked beneath the nearest table, careful to take with her her stolen goods. She pressed herself against the wood, listening intently to any sounds that echoed throughout the humid room. Her hands trembled slightly as she held onto the metal tray, it's contents seducing her to taste at leisure. But no- she would not be tempted now.

If only there was a bush nearby then this'd be a lot easier.

Sweat trickled down her back and the sides of her face. The kitchen was unbearably hot, as it usually was before times of meal. Usually, the girl would have executed her feat hours before preparation but prior engagements had led her to come back at wee hours of the day. Engagements which involved a snow bear and gremlin. Ugh.

She waited, and soon enough, the voices she had heard became louder. She heard the kitchen doors creak open and the voices solidified into people she was, unfortunately, familiar with.

"More of them this week!" Exclaimed a woman's voice. "By the angel's grace we might actually have something of alarm here Mr. Potts."

"Now, now Mrs. Pan." A male voice- Mr. Potts- replied. "I'm sure it will pass. Like many illnesses, the healers will know what to do."

"The Head Healer himself has expressed his confusion on the matter." Mrs. Pan fretted. "Do pray tell how this will all pass?"

The girl heard them shuffling about the room, pots and pans clinking as the pair fixed up the place. They were probably getting ready to serve.

"I tell you, this whole Plague is not doing well for my nerves. Even today Tigreal has me serving- wait now, where are my cookies?"

The girl took this as an opportunity. Eyeing the open door, she fueled all her mana and used her second skill.

The room erupted into pink smoke, the fumes blinding everyone except the girl. Immediately, she leaped towards the open door, the cookie tray tucked solidly underneath one arm. She passed the elderly pair and rushed outside to freedom.

"Wha- NATALIA COME BACK HERE!" Mrs. Pan yelled behind her. Without stopping, Natalia ran out of the Kitchen, into the main hall, then out into the garden. There she found a nearby bush and ate her cookies in peace.

The Church of Light, though situated within the Capital of Lumeria, acted as an independent state from the Kingdom. It was the largest known religious sect whose influence stretched furthest within the Western Planes. At the head of it all was the venerable Paladin- Tigreal. His legend stretched far and beyond, reaching even the most impenetrable of northern frontiers. Down to the very last ruffian, no man has resisted the urge to tremble at his almighty name.

He was God's right hand man afterall.

Ancient architecture was prominent in the religion's Iglesia. The building stood erect with pristine towers, gilded archways and stained glass that reflected off iridescent colors of the sun. Inside held much more grandeur with Fresco-painted ceilings depicting the time of the gods when they walked among man. Gold encrusted chandeliers hung from the peaks of each archway and candelabras of different shapes and sizes were affixed to each pillar. Rows upon rows of pews faced front towards raised flooring. The Altar was obviously the main attraction.

Situated between two murals, the place of worship held the usual rows of incense, candles and prayer ornaments. Above it was a five-pointed cross- the symbol of the God of Light. Before the altar was the Priest's precipice- a golden chair and podium where he/she held mass.

What held Natalia's interest weren't the religious paraphernalia but rather the paintings on both sides of the altar. Two angels, one painted in light, the other in darkness, were each displayed on either side. The angel of light had her hands folded in prayer and tears streaked down her gentle face. The angel of darkness was in the act of falling, his hands outstretched towards the heavens whilst his wings were in the process of crumbling.