Oddball - II

Their friendship grew much like a lily – unexpectedly, in the mud, and nobody really noticed it was there till it had matured and blossomed. As Lucas approached the table with his lunch, Drake started upon the sudden realization that they all sat together now – he, Parker, Gillian and Lucas. It had been so for a while now, but Drake had never thought about what it meant, till then.

How had it happened? How, and when, exactly, had they become friends?

The detentions had only lasted a week, of which Lucas hadn’t attended for another day, so that was only three days they’d had to really talk. Surely, that wasn’t just it! It couldn’t be- those had been but three hours, only, and all Drake had learned about the other boy was that art wasn’t just a hobby; it was his life. The rest that came about through observation, he’d already known- Lucas was reserved, not very adventurous, friendly, talkative…cute.

Drake shook his head.

He didn’t have a crush on Lucas, not exactly, but he couldn’t deny that his tiny frame, paired with short blonde hair and fair skin, grey-ish eyes…the whole package, really, was a sight easy on the eye.

“Hey, hey!”

Gillian’s hand was in front of his face.

“What?”

“You zoned out again.”

So he had.

Huh. In his wonder as to how Lucas had become a friend, he still had no answer. It had been a month since, and the only interactions they’d had, that he could remember, were the odd meetings in the corridors, occasionally washrooms; so how had he come to know Jill and Parker and become one of them?

“What are you thinking about?” Lucas asked.

You. “Not much, I’m just glad Mum let me off the hook.”

His friends smiled. They’d known the predicament his being grounded brought with it, and that Drake had been upset till that morning, when his mother had decided that he’d learnt a lesson.

“So what’s the plan for today?”

Lucas was surprised; surprised that Gillian had brought that up in his presence. He considered them to be friends, certainly, but it was a two way street now? It had to be- nobody could be so cruel as to make plans when he was around, then tell him he wasn’t invited; of this, he was certain, but of how or why they had brought it up at all, he wasn’t.

If the day that he joined their table at lunch was any marker to go by, an indication that marked the beginning of a proper friendship, then it had only been a week. The bell had just rung, one week ago, when Lucas had been heading out of the washroom, and had crossed paths with Parker.

He’d greeted him uncertainly, because the two were barely acquaintances, and Parker had responded by asking him to hold his books as he tied the shoelace that had come undone. It wasn’t an outrageous request, nor was there any reason to decline, so he’d obliged, and upon completion of the task, Parker had suggested that he join them for lunch.

A silent moment with Lucas puzzled, surprised, had followed, and then he’d agreed. He had no idea why the other boy would make the suggestion, considering that the only things they knew about each other were their names and relationships with Drake, but he was glad nevertheless. He’d hesitantly followed Parker, lingering a few steps behind him, should the need to veer off as though he’d never intended to join them present itself, but it hadn’t.

With a smile on his face, Drake had told him that he could sit beside Gillian- Parker and he could never sit opposite each other because Parker would keep kicking him, an accusation which the other boy denied.