Fourteen

We walked underneath the bridge on the frozen lake. 

"Well, 2 down, 1 to go." Newt said optimistically.

Newt opened the case and held it open as Jacob and I walked down first. Thomas took his time squeezing himself into the case. Newt followed after us. I slumped into the chair in the shack and sighed.

"Is this what every day is like for you wizards?" Jacob asked as he flopped next to me, panting. He pulled off the helmet and the chest plate.

"Well, not every day." Newt replied.

Suddenly, we heard a thump from the outside, and the sound of the locks of the case clicking. Thomas let out a low growl. We all looked at each other before I jumped up. I climbed up and pushed against the suitcase lid.

"It's locked from the outside!" I yelled down.

The case shook suddenly and I slipped, almost falling if it weren't for Newt catching me.

"Someone's carrying us somewhere." Newt realized.

We heard the echo of foot steps for a while as the person walked around with us in their hand. Newt held my hand reassuringly as we stayed silent, fearing what was to come.

After a while, we heard muffled voices from the outside, and a knock. 

"Should we answer it?" Jacob asked tentatively.

"We have to." Newt answered. He turned to me, "You stay here, you need to make sure no one harms these creatures." I nodded confidently. 

"I'll protect them with my life." With that, Newt and Jacob climbed out of the case. Thomas brushed his head against my shoulder. "Okay, Thomas. Let's go." We walked out of the shack and waited.

I heard sudden yelling from the outside, it was Newt! I had to refrain myself from running out right there and then. The case shook, and once again we were walked away. Thomas hid behind a boulder and I hid under a tree.

I heard the lock of the case pop open, and people were inside now. 

"Be careful, you don't know what's down here." I heard the familiar voice of Mr. Graves. 

"Merlin's beard." I cursed. Ugh, I haven't shifted into my panther form in too long. I mustered all I could and breathed out, focusing on my memories of my past, of being kept in that cursed home, forced to hear the anguished cries of abused creatures every day and night. I thought of Leta pointing at me and laughing with her group of Slytherin friends. I remembered when Newt took the fall for Leta's mistake and I had to endure her taunts alone from then on. I remembered when Tina attacked those Second Salemers and I pulled that boy, Credence to me and held him as he cried. He'd told us that was the first time he'd felt genuine love. Then being forced to watch as his memory was erased. I didn't do anything about it. 

I opened my eyes and my vision was sharper. I swallowed the pain as my bones cracked and shifted, and I was no longer a small, passive girl that couldn't stand up for herself. 

I'd found my voice.

❦    ❦    ❦