Chapter Twenty-One: Burden of the Gods (Part One)

"They are becoming too powerful. This is not what was promised to us." Her long black hair fell in a sheet down her back, her dark eyes and swirling black facial tattoos only added to the intensity of her stare.

The six others nodded. They stood silently in the chilly room, some leaned on the large marble table, others paced slightly.

"The winged whore promised to pay us handsomely," replied the man in the charcoal suit, his green frog-like eyes bulged as he spoke of the betrayal. The others again nodded.

"She is dead, you know that as well as any of us do."

"If she cannot pay the price, then her creation will." The murmurs of agreement buzzed through the air, the time had come.

------

At first, it was my own cough that brought me to attention. The blurred tones of grey and cream bled into the details of a delicately stitched silk pillow as my eyes flickered open. The smell of lavender and sandalwood made me want to snuggle deeper into the heavy down blankets...

Sitting up suddenly, I kicked off the blankets in a panic. Staggering from the bed, I tripped backwards as the blankets knotted around my ankles. Cracking my elbows on the reflective black marble floor, I stared up at the shimmery canopy that draped down across the headboard from the ceiling in awe and terror.

"Not again." Kicking the blankets away, I clambered to my feet and ran for what I had assumed was the door to this extravagant room. With all my might I flung open the doors and stepped into...the closet...I had found the closet. Great. Turning back around, I noticed that there were three other doors in the room. One was made of glass and clearly led out to what appeared to be a balcony. The other two, well those were a mystery that were going to be solved very quickly.

"And if that doesn't work I'll just-" The words fell apart on me, "I'm such a dumbass." The internal facepalm was real. The thing that no one tells you about having wings is that, oh yeah, you can freakin use them when you wake up in a strange place! Powers, who knew right?

Skidding across the gorgeous room, I pushed the french doors open and stepped out into the frigid air. I didn't know where I was, but it was cold and beautifully mountainous. Ya know, in any other situation this place would be awesome, I would love to stay and explore, but considering the fact that this looked NOTHING like Sioux Falls, South Dakota, I was getting the hell out of Dodge, or where ever this was.

Castiel and I had been working on my flying since I had been home, and with the roadhouse murders being put to an unfortunate end, the lack of Lily activity had slowed to a near standstill. This meant that training had increased a lot. We had a lead now, we knew what Lily was up to and what she was doing to call me out. Cassidy affectionately called it "Operation: Shank That Ho", which Dean had completely encouraged.

Shivering, I planted my feet firmly onto the balcony. Focus. I shivered again. Come on Rae, focus! Scrunching my eyes closed, I pictured Bobby's, the front gate. It was the only place I knew I'd be able to land  considering all the anti-angel and demon warding that was on the property. The familiar warmth spread from my shoulders and through my body. Showtime. I felt the energy pulsating; it was on the verge of exploding. My feet left the ground in a second. Blast off! But as I felt my body being propelled through space, I was slammed into by a huge invisible wall that legit sent me shooting backwards into the room, crashing through the doors of the closet.

"Jesus!" I coughed hoarsely, pushing myself out of the ruble. That hurt like hell.

"Not exactly." My eyes snapped upwards at the voice. Jesse stood leaning smuggly against the bedpost. "Nice flying, Sport."