C. 32

"Have to what? Why are you being so secretive?" Y/N scowls, "It just shows how much you trust me. And that trust is obviously lacking, by a lot." She knew she had a right to mad so she didn't sugarcoat her words. She felt untrusted and not reliable.

Toby sighs in a troubled manner and arises from his kneeling position to look down at her, "I'm really sorry. I need to go, okay? I'll see you tomorrow."

And he leaves without looking back.

***

Watching him walk away to the forest reminded her what she felt like when she was trapped in the asylum. Left watching him every day not being able to stop him. Not being able to do a single thing to make him stay, just for a while longer.

She could stand up and run after him. She could do something. Yet all she did was watch with sad eyes as he left. Again. For the third time in the past four days.

Y/N stays in that position until the stars start to come out over the sky, which was now turning darker by the minute. It turned into a black canvas, glittered with light.

The night sky was always pretty, and being in the middle of a forest without the disturbance of city lights allowed her to get a full view of all of the stars.

After making sure the cabin was all locked up for the night, she lights the fireplace up and decides to read a book she found to clear her head of everything. She wanted to forget it all just for a few hours to relax.

Hours later, she falls asleep with an opened book laying on her chest and a thick blanket wrapped tightly around her shoulders. The heat from the fire and the loud crickets heard outside lulled her to sleep.

***

"Y/N?!"

"Y/N!"

Her eyes fly open. Light blinds her and she squint's to see who it is.

Toby is kneeling beside her and her head was pounding, she felt sick. Something is wrong, terribly wrong.

She was outside, in the forest. Leaned against a thin, frail tree. The cabin nowhere in sight. She felt utterly confused, how did she get here?

"What the hell are you doing out here sleeping? It's not even 5 AM!" Toby helps her up after studying the watch on his wrist, which she didn't even know he had. He then freezes and gently grabs one of her arms."You had another attack..? Dammit, I'm sorry for not being here."

The new scratches on her arms frighten her. There is no way she had an attack, there was no way...

"That's impossible, I fell asleep on the couch last night and even if I did, I wouldn't have been able to open any of the doors. I wouldn't have fallen back asleep, I would eventually snap out of it and be awake." She tries to rationalize, her words feel jumbled and she suddenly feels dizzy.

Something wasn't right.

Toby tenses up and he slowly begins to look terrified of something, "Were you sleepwalking then--no...any headaches, dizziness or nausea..?"

She gazes at him in curiosity, "I have a bad headache and feel sick, actually."

All at once, Toby is furious and looks scared, "Goddammit!," He pulls away from her and yanks his mask and goggles off over his head."Fuck, fuck, fuck!" Her eyes go wide, watching him pace and curse to himself.

Y/N hurries to him, grabbing his arm. Seeing him look so frightened didn't help her nerves."Toby, what's wrong?" He sighs, his cold hands moving to cup her cheeks, "Y/N, do you remember BEN telling you about my 'Master'?"

A frown makes her way to her lips, still not understanding what was going on "Of course...I think it was Slender or something?"

He nods hastily, "Yes, well, I think that bastard took you here last night. I..I don't know what he made you do or if he even did anything--"

She looks at him startled and confused, "What? How--"

"Mind control, I don't know, something like that. Do you remember when BEN said he could do 'manipulative shit'? He wasn't exaggerating. He--that thing--isn't human. I actually don't know what the fuck it is. All I know is we are leaving first thing tomorrow."

"It's going to come back. It won't come back today because it is tormenting us. It's just toying with us, like puppets to entertain himself with. That's what I am to it, a plaything to meddle with. This isn't even the full extent of what that thing can do." He pauses, his eyes suddenly holding remorse as he looks deep into hers.

"I know you won't like this in this situation, but I need to leave again to get the things we need to travel away from here. We don't have enough food at the house to just leave today. Coming with me is more dangerous than staying here by yourself. He's after me, not you and he only used you to scare me. To warn me he's coming."

Y/N stops herself from speaking, she needs to try to understand. Fighting about it would do nothing but make it more difficult than it already was. She forces herself to say what he wants to hear, "I understand. Just make sure to come back soon...I don't want to be alone any longer..."

Toby looks relieved, his breathing is still shakey. "It must have left something, did something to you...do you have pockets?"

Y/N glances down to check her pants, "No--"

He suddenly grabs each of her arms and studies them before stopping at her right shoulder, lifting her short sleeve out of the way to look at her forearm He immediately flinched.

He stays silent. For too long.

Looking down to see what he was staring at, she is met with a carving in her skin, it covers her whole forearm.

A circle with an 'X' in it. "Toby did he...that thing--" She can't speak, in horror and she felt used. Tears are suddenly in her eyes, her vision blurry. It all came crashing down. Toby leaving for days, her restless sleeping and now this--...she felt so alone.

It made her tear up her arms the worst they've ever been, it made her carve that into her own skin. And who the hell knows what else it made her do.

He embraces her tightly, "I'm so sorry..." Y/N sinks against him, not knowing he was actually apologizing for two things.

This looks sooo amazing! I absolutely love it, thank you so much!!