8. the wrong date

Tyra dropped Seb off at his house. He gave her a hug and thanked her for everything. She just grinned and patted his back, saying: "You'll be fine, boo. Don't worry, now get into those clothes and brush your teeth."

"Tyra! Don't assume we'll be kissing," he wailed, embarrassed and nervous.

Tyra laughed and pulled him in for a second hug. "Don't worry about that, I was just teasing you."

"Sure you were," he grumbled, but found that he couldn't sulk for long. He was far too excited to be angry with his friend. Kiss Kaiden, he thought. He remembered the dream ha had a few nights ago. Kaiden's lips had been so soft.

"You're thinking about kissing him, aren't you?"

Seb winced at her cheeky grin. "How did you know?"

"You had this dreamy look in your eyes," she explained. Then she turned around and walked back to her car, calling out over her shoulder: "Call me tomorrow, I want details!"

"Okay, bye," he replied, and waved.

He felt abandoned. But at the same time, he wanted to be alone. He gazed towards his house. He really didn't want to go inside. His mother and father were probably preparing for guests. They usually had guests over Friday nights, and most of the times, Seb was forced to sit through their boring dinner listening to his mother's ridiculous ideas for his future. She bragged about his grades, and what university he would later attend. Ivy league... yeah right. His dad usually say much on those occasions.

He sighed at the thought, but instantly smiled when he remembered that he wouldn't be sitting at the dinner table tonight. He would catch a movie with Kaiden. He skipped inside and ran up the stairs to his room, ignoring his mother's disapproving comments for the first time in a long while.

He knew she would come up, so he locked the door. He wasn't supposed to, of course, but this time he could say he was in a hurry to change. Not that he was, but this time he felt sure he could lie a little better.

A few seconds later there was a knock at the door. "Sebastian, what are you doing, young man?"

"Sorry, Mother, I have to change. Going to the movies."

"No, you certainly aren't. We have a dinner tonight, I told you yesterday. The Marsden's will bring their daughter. She's a year younger than you."

Seb groaned, but kept it silent to not rile his mother further. She didn't take well to groans and eye rolls. "Mother, I can't, I promised I would go. You didn't tell me about this dinner, Mother. I would have remembered," he replied, as politely as he could. He was sure that she hadn't told him. The problem was that she sometimes ignored his wishes completely. It always started with... he waited for a second, and yes, there it was.

"You live under our roof, Sebastian, you do as we tell you! Your father and I have sacrificed a great deal to give you what you have. I will hear none of this. You will come to the dinner, and that's it. You will call your friends and tell them that you are not coming. They are a bad influence on you anyway."

He grew cold inside. He hated when she did this, but he had never imagined that she would ignore his requests when he really really wanted something. He rarely argued, and now when he did, he thought she would change her mind, but no. He fought the tears that threatened behind his eyes, and as the seconds passed it became easier to keep them at bay. He knew she expected him to say something, but he couldn't find his voice. Or rather, he knew that if he opened his mouth he would let out a loud sob, and he wouldn't give her that satisfaction.

"Call your friends!" she finished, and stomped down the stairs.

He turned his back to the door and slumped down on the floor. The game was over. Unwelcome tears slipped down his skin, dropping on his hands. He didn't want to meet a stupid girl they most likely introduced because they thought she would make a great girlfriend. He didn't want a girlfriend...he wanted Kaiden.

He heard someone come up the stairs again, and dreaded to hear his mother's voice yelling at him again. In a feeble attempt to hide from the world, he made himself as small as possible, hugging his knees and hiding his face.

A soft knock on the door got his attention. It wasn't his mother's knock.

"Seb, what happened?" Dad.

"I have a date tonight, Dad..." he said, wiping away tears with his sleeve.

"I'll talk to her, but you know I can't do much once she's made up her mind," his dad continued. He loved his father, but at the same time he was disappointed in him. His dad was the sane one, but he never argued; telling him that it was for the best. She only wanted what was best for Seb after all.

"Dad, I really want to go on this date. It's my first one," he continued. He didn't like to beg, but Kaiden was worth it.

"What's her name?"

Seb stopped breathing. He hadn't expected that question.

"Seb, you're not answering..."

Perhaps he should tell his dad. He had never thought he would need to do this before he left their house, so he had never considered this. He wanted to tell his dad, he really did. Then again, what if Kaiden and he wouldn't date at all?

"Seb," his father urged.

He closed his eyes and stuttered out: "His name is Kaiden."

He expected silence, or an outburst. What he didn't expect was: "That's what I thought."

"You knew?" Seb asked, got up and opened the door. His dad stood outside, wearing a sad smile.

"I suspected. May I come in?"

"Yeah..." Seb replied, and stepped out of the way.

"Thanks for telling me, Seb," his father said and ruffled his hair. He felt like a little boy again, but for some reason it felt nice. Dad would take care of things. "Why don't you get changed, and I'll drive you to the movies."

Seb flung his arms around his dad's chest. "Thank you!"

"I think we should tell your mother at some point, but to be honest, I think it would be better to wait until you and Kaiden know each other a little better. Do you agree?"

"Yeah, don't think I want to tell her yet."

"She loves you, Seb. She just loves a little too much at times."

"I wish she would love me a little less then," he replied, and looked into his father's kind eyes. He was glad he looked like his father more than his mother. They had the same eyes and the same unruly hair.

"Leave your mother to me tonight, I'll handle her. You should just enjoy your night. If he doesn't drive you home, just call and I'll pick you up, okay?"

"You're the best, Dad!"

"I try," his dad finished, and left him to change his clothes.