Chapter 12

Chapter 12

The alarm on my phone rang for the third time after I hit snooze, annoying the shit out of me.

Saturdays and waking up early seemed to always be a bad idea. Yet, I couldn't shake the habit of not sleeping in.

Barely awake, I opened my eyes and grabbed my phone to check my notifications, only to turn down the brightness that seemed to be blinding me.

Great. Instead of working out at five after being on about 3 1/2 hours of sleep, seeing what else I could do to procrastinate seemed like a much better alternative.

After rotating to the same 3 boring apps, I eventually decided to get out of bed and get ready. Hopping into my quick routine, I brushed my teeth and washed my face before moisturizing and brushing out my brows naturally.

I couldn't bother to do more than that.

Slipping on a pair of leggings, a sports bra, and putting my hair up into a bun was the most my three brain cells could handle at the given moment and I wasn't in the mood to overstimulate myself.

After putting on my running shoes and my AirPods, I made my way outside, the morning air hitting me and sending a chill down my spine.

There was nothing like a cold morning run to wake you up ever. Unless you finished it with a cold shower as well.

The run was brief; an hour at the most. Music flooding my ears as I hyped myself up and reminded myself about my healthy resolutions that I refused to admit, were already beginning to look grim.

At around 2 1/2 miles out, I decided to turn back around and head back. Sweat was not my best friend and I quickly reminded myself to take that cold shower before I got sticky and gross.

•••

Collapsing at the dinner table, I pulled my head off the table at the sound of two notifications going off.

Having an idea of who it was, I left my phone on the table and made my way to the fridge to grab some greek yogurt, granola, and berries that were on the verge of being spoiled.

After taking a bite of the mixed contents that sat in a clear glass bowl, I opened the text to a confused Belle.

Belle: Bitch.
Belle: What the hell happened yesterday?

I laughed at her bluntness. The two of us found it much easier to be blunt and honest instead of sugar-coating our messages. I mean I guess that's why we were best friends.

That and the fact that you aren't best friends until you've hit that 'bitch, that top makes you look more ratchet than you already are' point.

I replied a simple 'later' knowing she was about to blow a fuse. Really, there was no explaining to do. But I guess if you bring a fuckboy home, especially the school's favorite at that, you might be questioned by an investigation team.

From the courtesy of Instagram, came a message from an all too familiar name.

grayson_chris: hey.

I stood there just staring at my phone.

Why was there a 'hey' from the very same guy I was just hoping to not explain, present?

The simple three-letter word sent my brain into overthinking the stupid message.

1) Why did he shoot a message? Wasn't yesterday's conversation enough interaction?

2) Does WikiHow offer a page on how to respond to the school's golden child without coming off like you like him?

3) Why did he go the lengths to uncapitalized the first letter and add the period?

4) Why do I care so much? It's not like he was providing me healthcare.

Opting for the lesser approach, I replied with the same message in a much more complex form.

lana.mae: Hey?

The word 'hey' is a simple three-letter word with a shit ton of interpretations behind it, something I learned after Belle would read into every text Tony would send at the beginning of their relationship. But the sole fact Grayson was the one sending it to me, made it all the more complex.

The more important matter, was why was I the one seeing the message?

After all, it had only been less than a couple of hours since we last talked, and while I could say his presence wasn't that worse, it wasn't like I wanted to be around him.

My social clock was already burnt out enough for the week as an ambivert.

Instead of waiting for a reply, I opted on opening my laptop and began importing the pictures from last night. But, just as I started editing the first image, I received another text.

Not wanting to be bothered, I flipped my phone face side down and continued working, crossing my legs and finishing my yogurt in the process.

***

I groaned and stretched my legs after finishing more than half of the pictures. An hour had passed and I felt as if I had already done more than enough work for the day as I stood up and placed my bowl in the sink and soaking it.

After closing my laptop and making my way up the stairs, I stopped dead in my tracks after reading the message that had popped up onto my screen.

grayson_chris: carnival at 12?

"It's not a date." I immediately justified, as if I was already set on replying 'yes'.

Yet, it was only 8 A.M. and I couldn't help but not want to do any homework or editing for the rest of the day. Besides, it's been so long since I've dragged myself to a carnival.

It wasn't like I had anything better to do right?

Plus we had hung out with each other before and I had yet to thank him properly for everything last night.

Was I really justifying this?

I mean, he would just be a waste of space next to me. I wanted to go myself or with friends eventually, this was just a convenient situation.

A mere air breather accompanier if you will.

What was I thinking?

lana.mae: ur lucky I'm bored.
lana.mae: pick me up at 11:30?

This wasn't a date.

•••

Merry Christmas babes! Happy Holidays as well! I wish you all a good day with your families today! I know my Australia babes are done celebrating it but I'm not there atm 😭 I'm sorry for the lack of updates but is holiday season and I've been SOO busy :) Thank you SOO much for 300+ views! I can't thank y'all enough. Also, this chapter is up kind of late because it didn't save and I had to rewrite... Here is a quick short chapter! It's a break though so stay tuned for more! Anyways, please vote, comment, and share! Enjoy!

-Anne

•••
12•25•17
Edited: 10•12•20