Chapter Two

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••

My alarm buzzed me awake. Groaning, I slammed the top of the alarm, making the room go quite. I heaved out of my warm covers, my tired mind finally remembering why I had an alarm for a day I don't have work.

My tiredness washed away like a wave. I quickly put on black pants and a white shirt with the tips of the sleeves designed with small, gold colored silk pattern. I let my hair flow down to my lower back, deciding to not braid my hair. Hastily, I put on my blue necklace, then slipped on some ankle-boots.

Breakfast went by like a blur. I greeted my mother and brother in the wooden kitchen, helping my mother prepare breakfast. I didn't really feel that hungry so I took an apple from the counter.

Of course, I waited for about thirty minutes before all of us were ready to go to the docks, where the Rider Picking was held.

"Amira, I'm just telling you that you shouldn't be that excited for this. It takes most of the day to get through the kids your age and usually they don't even do the girls because the guys were all already picked for the certain amount of people chosen." My mother reminded me.

A small sigh escaped my lips. "Yeah I know.."

The docks and the crowding people appeared in front of my family and I as we joined them. I shoved through some people, muttering apologies as I finally got a front view. There was a long line of boys my age, all waiting uncomfortably, probably nervous of course. A boy steps up to the man standing behind a table. On the table, a bowl of clear water. From what I was told, it was water from a farther away lake called Fountain of Truth. The color would either turn a certain color by the touch of your hand showing you would become a Magic User or Rider, or do nothing, meaning you would continue your normal life, living your life as a villager.

From what I was seeing, a lot of times the water did nothing, or lit up in a diluted or vibrant color. A lot of time passed by waiting, and there were 6 more boys left. So far, All the Magic User spots were chosen, which was 40 boys connected to Magic as usual. There were 5 more Dragon Riders who were supposed to be chosen.

My hopes dropped completely. Usually at least a few girls were chosen each Rider Picking but clearly the spots would all be chosen.

A tall boy approaches the table. The man looks at him, gesturing to the bowl. The boy hesitated slightly, but put his hand into the bowl. Immediately, the water changed to a light crimson gold. The boy gleamed, and his parents cried in joy. It was always a big honor to become a Dragon Rider.

Another boy went up, the water changing to a lighter gold. 3 more boys left and 3 more spots. A smaller boy quickly put his hand in the water, it changing somewhat the same color as the last few Dragon Riders. A short boy went up to the bowl, placing his hand in. It almost seemed like everyone held their breath. Nothing. Nothing happened, the water stayed clear.

The boy let out a cry of shock, backing up and quickly walking away. That's unusual. There is one more boy left and 2 more Dragon Riders still need to be chosen. That means I might have a chance! The last boy stood tall, his confidence radiating from even the front of the crowd where I was. He put his hand in.

Nothing. All the boys have gone and there are still two more spots left. The towns people started talking quietly to each other in low mutters.

The man who was behind the table yells loudly so all of us can hear.

"This has happened before! Can we please have the girls come up in a line, stating your name for before putting your hand in the bowl!"

The girls lined up quickly, me being in the middle of the line. My heart raced rapidly. Do I still have a chance? There are so many girls, anyone of us could be the two remaining Dragon Riders! A small bit of hope flickered inside of me.